Hen coughing/sneezing and runny poops

EasterEggersRULE

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
South Texas
I just got her on friday and she looked perfectly healthy and so did all the other birds she was housed with. But for the past two days she has runny poops just sits on a perch all day and constantly coughs. The pullet she came with is not showing any signs of being ill but i am housing them seperatly. Do i need to get some sort of medication for her ? I have no idea how she would have gotten ill she is a serama so i am keeping her in the house to keep her warm. Is there anything i can buy for her at the feed store ?? I know there are no chicken vets around here.

I would buy Tylan. It works wonders on respiratory illnesses. Also, another good product is Denegard. Great stuff.

I only ever used Corid for Cocci, so I can't really say if that would work for a respiratory illness.

Sharon

Try Tylan. It comes in injectable form and is easy to use. For serama size use 1 cc. once a day for 3 to 5 days. Turn her over and feel along the keel bone and inject right under the skin. Do not stab or aim the needle into body..

If you are uncomfortable giving shot then you can give it to her orally. Use syringe and needle to extract from bottle and then take off needle and give it to her. I think you can purchase tylan in powder form.. but the injectable is the best form.

I keep on hand 3 cc. syringes and 18 gauge disposable needles.

The stress of shipping probably made her ill. Keep her warm, give her sugar water or vitamin/electrolytes and feed her wet feed with scrambled egg in it.

Corid is for coccidious and given mainly to growing chicks. That is what is in the medicated feed. Do not use it on adult birds unless you are certain they need it.

I use "Natures Antibiotic - Colloidal Silver Spray". It works wonders. I have a few chickens that get a cough and sneeze once in a while and I spray two squirts in their mouth and the cough is gone. If you can't get their mouth open you can spray it directly on their face. They will inhale through their nose. I only have one girl that actually lets me open her mouth to spray. The others I fight with until I give up and just spray it on them. You can find it at your feed store.

Quote:
I am dealing with Coryza or some other respiratory issue with a small flock. I have put another post up about Tylan. I have Tylan 50 and most people have suggested 0.5ml for a standard hen that is = 25mg dose. However people in the UK are doing a 0.5 ml dose of Tylan 200! That would be equal to a 100mg dose they suggest one dose and then wait 48 hours and dose again. I am left a little unsure of how much to administer to my hens. Also, in regard to Colloidal Silver I have been trying to treat my hens for about a week with Colloidal Silver and Grape Fruit Seed Extract but they are still all coming down with this disease.

Please advise on your experience with dosage on Tylan and keeping in mind that I have Tylan 50. Is it Tylan 50 that you are using? Also, I am doing nasal flushes with a solution of 12cc sterile water and 2cc Tylan 50...using about 3cc per hen. I doubt that equals much of a dose of the drug since most of it drains out their mouth. However I wondered if I should scale back the injection dose if I am also doing the nasal flushes?
Thank you. Still learning. I hope this helps the original poster as well.

Feed store was out of Tylan all they had was corid and i would not use that. I am giving her sugar water and scrambled egg.
I called three feed stores and one of them has Tylan 50 but i can't go until tomorrow. I got that spray mentioned by another poster and sprayed it in her mouth i hope that does somthing for her.

Quote:
I am dealing with Coryza or some other respiratory issue with a small flock. I have put another post up about Tylan. I have Tylan 50 and most people have suggested 0.5ml for a standard hen that is = 25mg dose. However people in the UK are doing a 0.5 ml dose of Tylan 200! That would be equal to a 100mg dose they suggest one dose and then wait 48 hours and dose again. I am left a little unsure of how much to administer to my hens. Also, in regard to Colloidal Silver I have been trying to treat my hens for about a week with Colloidal Silver and Grape Fruit Seed Extract but they are still all coming down with this disease.

Please advise on your experience with dosage on Tylan and keeping in mind that I have Tylan 50. Is it Tylan 50 that you are using? Also, I am doing nasal flushes with a solution of 12cc sterile water and 2cc Tylan 50...using about 3cc per hen. I doubt that equals much of a dose of the drug since most of it drains out their mouth. However I wondered if I should scale back the injection dose if I am also doing the nasal flushes?

My first post - I have had several chickens with the sniffles and coughing - we gave 2 cc of the Tylan 50 for a standard size bird - So, we must of done something right because none of them died - In fact, they all got better. We gave the injections for 2 days on each one. A friend of ours who has chickens told us how to do it.

If you just purchased her, she may just be having a flare-up of coccidiosis. Most chickens normally have some of the bacteria in their system, however, in times of stress (like going to a new place) they become immunosuppressed and the bacteria get out of control. Just an idea.

Quote:

My first post - I have had several chickens with the sniffles and coughing - we gave 2 cc of the Tylan 50 for a standard size bird - So, we must of done something right because none of them died - In fact, they all got better. We gave the injections for 2 days on each one. A friend of ours who has chickens told us how to do it.

Wow. Ya that would equal what several individuals are dosing with Tylan 200. That is a 100mg dose if you gave 2cc of Tylan 50. I wonder why so many people are suggesting 0.5 cc of Tylan 50 for a standerd hen? I have been giving my hens 0.5 cc of Tylan 50 for 2 days. I guess I should up the dose or just give it to them for a longer period of time. Thanks for the info. Did you give the 2cc two days back to back or wait 48 hours for the next dose?

Back
Top Bottom