Hen crowing like a rooster Any idea how to make it stop ?

kkarene

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
Lakewood, CA
I have a Hen that I rescued from a neighbor.

She was part if a school class project and once the baby chicks were hatched a few students were given one to take home.
At first we all thought she was turning into a rooster because it developed a comb and wattle (not sure had to google to find out the names of the red things)

Then she started laying eggs. My neighbor decided he was done with her after almost a year and I said I would take her.
She was in a small cage and I just recently moved her into a nice new chicken coop with nesting boxes etc.
She used to lay an egg for me everyday.

Now she has stopped laying eggs & crows likea rooster every morning from 6 am to 8 am.
I am sooo confused about what to do or why she is doing this.
Ive been told she needs a friend but Im afraid it might get nosier.
She has never been around a rooster nor any other hens.

Anyone else have this problem and or any suggestions ??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
karen

She could be an old hen.

She thinks she is boss since there is no rooster.

Some times when you dont have a rooster, a hen will take its place as flock protector.

This is just what I have read.

I am not an expert..

There is a medical condition that can cause a hen to crow like a rooster. It can be caused by an infected ovary causing hormonal changes. It is more common in older chickens. The chicken health handbook says that the infection can be cured and the hen can go bak to "normal". The book does not detail how to cure it. Perhaps a treatment of antibiotics? (Not sure)

Sunny is right.

I don't know what the official name for it is, but in my family, we've always called them 'hensters.' Sometimes flocks with a laid-back rooster will also have a henster, but all-female flocks always have someone responsible for at least doing predator calls, if not doing territorial crows. For some reason (probably something due to dominant genes), black hens are the most prone to become hensters. I've had quite a few-- some even develop little spurs beyond the usual pin-head that most hens have.

Finding a HEALTHY companion (female) for her would be great. You might try posting here and seeing if anyone has an extra hen who would be willing to drive her to you. If you're not out there with her a lot, she's going to be very lonely. All chickens are flock birds and you either need to be with her or you need to get her a friend. Imagine how you'd feel if you thought you were the only human in the world. She's probably a little unhappy, and that's why she's not laying.

A companion will give her someone to communicate with in normal chicken tones so that she won't have to scream 'Is there anyone out there?' for two hours a morning.

EDIT: I've not heard of an infected ovary causing this before, but it would make sense that it would make her more 'masculine' being that half her ovary hormones would be missing due to the infection. However, some birds are life-long hensters, but they usually show early.

Last edited:
my roo, in addition to crowing, 'bauk's' like a hen.

I've never heard of your hen's condition. I hope you can get helpful info.... I don't know if it would be noiser with a friend, but she may appreciate a friend or 2 just for company....

Thanks you guys !
I am so glad my friend forwarded me to this website.
My hen is a little over a year old Im not sure if that is old or young in hen life.

The attention issue makes sense. In her old cage I was closer and she was around people more. Her new coop is on the side of my house & she probably is lonley over there. Now I am starting to feel a little gulity & am definately going to consider finding her a friend. Now to research which type to get.

Your advice has been much appreciated
smile.png

Have a fun weekend ! ...Karen

Back
Top Bottom