Hen crowing or rooster who squats?

The March pullets are the two legbars, Easter egger, and the welsummer.
The 2yr olds are definitely hens. I’ve seen every one of them lay (I like to know which hen lays which egg). The welsummer just started laying and the browner legbar has been laying for some time now. The only one I haven’t seen lay is the lighter legbar (although she has been in the nest box and does an egg song after leaving the coop). I’ve also been getting two blue/green eggs and they are the only hens that lay those colors other than the Easter egger of course. The Easter egger hasn’t started laying yet.

You have a gorgeous flock. And they all look like girls to me. Crowing females happen. Here is a video of a hen crowing. Happens in flocks without roos. Normally the dominant hen does it.

There is also a condition where a hen can take in male characteristics and behaviors. That is very rare and is caused by health issues. Here is a link to some info on that. Her not yet laying could be a sign. However as i said it is very rare.
https://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html

Welp, then OP you have a hen that's crowing if that's the whole flock.

I suggest getting a video - we'd LOVE to see it happen if you can.

It's a pretty normal occurrence, though rare. Hens have the ability to fulfill the social and practical roles of a rooster with the exception of fertilizing an egg. It's important for that function to exist so the flock can survive without a rooster in the wild.
Not much you can do about it. It may fade with time or if you get a rooster. You can keep the coop dark 'til later but then the other hens won't lay as much. You could cull or rehome her. But it is the way it is now.

I went out extra early and caught the crower in the act. It’s my olive egger hen who is number 3 in the pecking order. She was crowing inside of the coop on a roost rather than out in the run like I had suspected. Unfortunately, it was too dark for my phone to record and she only crowed two more times after I had caught her.
Now I just have to figure out how to make her quiet down. I don’t want to have to get rid of her cause she’s one of my favorites.

I can attest that no crow collars do not work. my EE boy crows just as loud, just as often. But you can give one a try. Just stay with her for a while after you put it on her to make sure she is not going to freak out and hurt herself. They can when you first put it on. They think something is attacking them.

Back
Top Bottom