Hen crowing?

Update.. I sent the photos to a couple people who raise polish chickens and the all say that they are both hens. They say that the one is most likely trying to show dominance since I have no roosters in the flock. Let's hope they are right since the one doing the crowing is the one they say is a definite hen with the full fluffy crown 😊

That's a cockerel.

Every now and then they have smooth crests. No pullet should have wattles that developed at this age. In another 8 weeks? Sure. Now? No.

@Rhodebar Lover what do you think?
They are white crested black polish and roosters and hens both have very visible wattles. That was one of my concerns a while back until someone told me that it was normal for this breed and then I looked it up and sure enough it's true.

They are white crested black polish and roosters and hens both have very visible wattles. That was one of my concerns a while back until someone told me that it was normal for this breed and then I looked it up and sure enough it's true.
White crested black is the color. The breed is Polish.

Non-bearded hens and Roosters absolutely have very visible wattles. Pullets do not until they are closer to POL.

I have personally seen non-bearded Polish with the smoothest top-knots and wattles like yours, turn out to be cockerels. A simple search here on this site should bring up a few.

I could absolutely be wrong, (I hope I am if you can't keep roosters) but I have never seen a pullet this developed at this age. Even Leghorn pullets wouldn't have wattles this developed.

Someone told you it is a hen so they must be right? First sign they may not know all they claim to - they aren't called hens until they reach one year of age. You have multiple people here telling you it's a cockerel. Why believe one over many?

Are you not allowed to have roosters where you live?

Update.. I sent the photos to a couple people who raise polish chickens and the all say that they are both hens. They say that the one is most likely trying to show dominance since I have no roosters in the flock. Let's hope they are right since the one doing the crowing is the one they say is a definite hen with the full fluffy crown 😊
Well, they arent as experienced as they like to seem then if they are calling 8 week old chicks hens. They would be called pullets until they reach a year old.

Oh, and that's definitely a cockerel.

No, we are not allowed to have roosters. And I am the one saying hen as these are my first chickens and am not as familiar with the pullet/cockerel names. I asked if they thought they were roosters or hens and they told me hens. Probably because that's how I presented it to them and not because they don't know what they are talking about. When I first signed up for this site it was the first time I heard pullet and cockerel. Guess we just aren't as into being as perfect as some others are.. either way pullet/hen = girl and rooster/cockerel = boy and that's all I'm needing to know. They probably didnt feel the need to correct me over something so minimal as a name. My bad for saying breed, again I'm new to this. Didn't realize when I joined this website people would be so quick to judge and put others down for not being perfectly correct to their liking.

No, we are not allowed to have roosters. And I am the one saying hen as these are my first chickens and am not as familiar with the pullet/cockerel names. I asked if they thought they were roosters or hens and they told me hens. Probably because that's how I presented it to them and not because they don't know what they are talking about. When I first signed up for this site it was the first time I heard pullet and cockerel. Guess we just aren't as into being as perfect as some others are.. either way pullet/hen = girl and rooster/cockerel = boy and that's all I'm needing to know. They probably didnt feel the need to correct me over something so minimal as a name. My bad for saying breed, again I'm new to this. Didn't realize when I joined this website people would be so quick to judge and put others down for not being perfectly correct to their liking.
Nobody is judging you here! You are learning and we're trying to make sure you learn properly. :hugs

Fingers crossed for a pullet. :fl

Back
Top Bottom