Hen crowing..

My 2 1/2 year old barred rock started crowing the day after her girlfriend died.
She's been really sweet with me, but more aggressive and territorial with the food and water with the other girls.
I live in the city and *really* do not want to be *that* neighbor with a crowing chicken. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to stop? She's the most dominant in the flock so I was thinking I could isolate her for a while and see if someone goes for the "coop" de estat while she's gone? (sorry I had to)
I have no idea if isolation will work.

My crowing hen started to crow when her last flock mate passed away.

She also passed away a couple of months later.

I live in the outskirts and I hear Roosters from neighbors, so I didn't try to stop her from crowing.

Sorry I couldn't be helpful.
GC

My 2 1/2 year old barred rock started crowing the day after her girlfriend died. At first I thought I was going crazy, but now I've heard her crow several times.

... and she's getting better at it. :th

She's been really sweet with me, but more aggressive and territorial with the food and water with the other girls.

I live in the city and *really* do not want to be *that* neighbor with a crowing chicken. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to stop? She's the most dominant in the flock so I was thinking I could isolate her for a while and see if someone goes for the "coop" de estat while she's gone? (sorry I had to)
I'm dealing with exactly the same situation! My 1 1/2 yo Red Star started crowing and getting aggressive a couple days after my other Red Star had to be put down. She's been beating up and mounting my other adult hen, a RIR. I tried isolating her, and it helped, but nothing really changed because I only have 2 hens.

I've also got 2 d'Uccle pullets in a separate run, and she's been trying to attack them through the hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom