Hen "crowing"?????

I have some VERY screamy EEs, one that I even refer to as the growler because she growls, and I have 2 roos. Lots of different voices from my hens. The presence of roos crowing doesn't seem to shut my ladies up at all and, in fact, when the girls get going, they set off the boys!! Total screaming festival out there.

Help! A new chicken owner here as well and I have a Barred Rock that we thought was "Big Mama" to our other 3 younger chickens that we brought home all at the same time for Easter and were all thought to be hens, as we requested. We thought for sure Big Mama was a hen as she had the rounded tip feathers and her tail feathers were going up rather than the pointed plumed feathery down turn and she guides and cares for the others like a mama would do. Anyway, long story short, this morning I came down the hall to get my coffee in the kitchen and heard this strange sound outside the kitchen window......an attempted crow!!??? Waiting and wondering for the next sound, I closely watched all 4 until I could figure out who it was--sure enough, Big Mama stretching her neck and making this strange new sound. Could she still be a hen or is she now "Big Papa"??

Back
Top Bottom