Hen "crowing"?????

LarissaCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Central Coast, CA
Ok forgive me if this is a totally stupid question. New chicken owner!!

So my easter egger hen I inherited has been crowing in the morning the last few weeks. It's definitely a she, she definitely lays eggs. ANd no its not as much of a crow as a roosters, but its still loud. I worry about it being obnoxious to the neighbors! We are allowed to keep chickens in my zone, but not roosters and basically as long as there aren't a lot of complaints with noise.

So what gives? Why do hens do this? Is it a dominance thing?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
13 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
In the absence of a rooster the top hen will take over that role, sometimes including the crowing.

LarissaCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Central Coast, CA
How fascinating! At least she isnt' doing it at all hours of the day and night...at least not yet
hmm.png

LarissaCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Central Coast, CA
Quote:
I'm pretty sure, its only aroudn 6 or 7 when they are all waking up and scratching out in the sand.

Haha definitely no sneaky roos. I only have three hens right now (besides the eggs I bought in the incubator). And i've seen her do it before whiel I'm drinking my coffee.

LarissaCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Central Coast, CA
Resurrecting to ask more questions...

Any guesses how common it is? Would any hen in charge wihtout a rooster start doing this?

It seems to be getting more frequent, and I am fearful of my neighbors behind me starting to complain about Ms. Helga. I don't want to lose all ability to keep chickens. If I re-homed her would one of my other chickens start doing the same thing?

ChickyLaura

The Crazy Chicken Lady
11 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Eastern/Central PA
Interesting. I had some hens "try" to crow when we had roos learning to crow, but then they stopped.

When I just had all hens, none of them crowed, just the egg song.

Top Bottom