Hen "crowing"?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LarissaCluck, Mar 5, 2011.

1. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Ok forgive me if this is a totally stupid question. New chicken owner!!

So my easter egger hen I inherited has been crowing in the morning the last few weeks. It's definitely a she, she definitely lays eggs. ANd no its not as much of a crow as a roosters, but its still loud. I worry about it being obnoxious to the neighbors! We are allowed to keep chickens in my zone, but not roosters and basically as long as there aren't a lot of complaints with noise.

So what gives? Why do hens do this? Is it a dominance thing?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In the absence of a rooster the top hen will take over that role, sometimes including the crowing.

3. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Are you sure it's a crow and not the egg song from laying or could it be another sneaky roo in the bunch?

4. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    How fascinating! At least she isnt' doing it at all hours of the day and night...at least not yet [​IMG]

5. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Quote:I'm pretty sure, its only aroudn 6 or 7 when they are all waking up and scratching out in the sand.

Haha definitely no sneaky roos. I only have three hens right now (besides the eggs I bought in the incubator). And i've seen her do it before whiel I'm drinking my coffee.

6. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Resurrecting to ask more questions...

Any guesses how common it is? Would any hen in charge wihtout a rooster start doing this?

It seems to be getting more frequent, and I am fearful of my neighbors behind me starting to complain about Ms. Helga. I don't want to lose all ability to keep chickens. If I re-homed her would one of my other chickens start doing the same thing?

7. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Interesting. I had some hens "try" to crow when we had roos learning to crow, but then they stopped.

When I just had all hens, none of them crowed, just the egg song.

8. Peck Johnson

Peck Johnson Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Greene County NY
    This does happen when there is no rooster present but usually stops as the bird matures.

9. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chirping

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    She's older though! At least 4 years I believe. Crazy Helga.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  10. Peck Johnson

Peck Johnson Chirping

Feb 26, 2011
    Greene County NY
    Quote:That so funny. We experienced this with some young birds but they eventually stopped. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: