Hen crushed hatched egg around pipping chick, help!!

SamanthaBrooke

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Jefferson, GA
I noticed a chick pipping from a broody hen this morning and upon further investigation she has crushed the egg around the chick who is peeping and breathing but the egg shell is crushed around it and the membraine is broken and I can see the chicks body, do I need to interviene or leave it be??

I noticed a chick pipping from a broody hen this morning and upon further investigation she has crushed the egg around the chick who is peeping and breathing but the egg shell is crushed around it and the membraine is broken and I can see the chicks body, do I need to interviene or leave it be??

If other chicks have hatched then intervene with the crushed egg. Remove just enough shell and membrane so the chick can wiggle free on its own. If there is a LOT of blood in the membrane you need to wait a while before going any further. Let the chick push itself out of the shell/membrane on its own. If you try to remove the chick too soon it will, most likely, die. Watch to be sure the membrane does not dry to the chick preventing the baby from getting out. Good luck.

I brought the broken egg into the brooder and wrapped it in a damp paper towel so I can assist with hatching if need be, I took some of the shell off and what I could that didn't cause bleeding, I freed the beak and now the chick seems to be moving a lot more, working at getting out itself.

Thank you!

I brought the broken egg into the brooder and wrapped it in a damp paper towel so I can assist with hatching if need be, I took some of the shell off and what I could that didn't cause bleeding, I freed the beak and now the chick seems to be moving a lot more, working at getting out itself.

Thank you!

Sounds good. Great luck. If you need help I will try to answer faster.

Back
Top Bottom