Hen Currently Dying, How to Help?

I doubt there is anything more you can do for this hen. Once a chicken stops eating and drinking and lies down with their eyes shut, death is usually within 24 hours.

I just had one of these a week ago. It never gets any easier.
She definitely seems like she is ready to go. It seems I’m just making her more miserable when I try to help.

@Wyorp Rock when I cleaned her I only found dried and wet feces but didn’t see any other maggots or wounds. The smell is gone now and no critters that I can see.

She definitely seems like she is ready to go. It seems I’m just making her more miserable when I try to help.

@Wyorp Rock when I cleaned her I only found dried and wet feces but didn’t see any other maggots or wounds. The smell is gone now and no critters that I can see.
I'm glad you don't see anymore maggots, sometimes when a hen is not well, the maggots can invade and be found on the skin/tissue underneath the vent, they can cause a lot of damage and infection.

I'm very sorry she's not doing well. Sometimes no matter what we try, they don't make it.

Thank you all for your help, I’m glad I was able to try some things I wouldn’t have otherwise known to try. Unfortunately, she did not make it, she rallied all day but died shortly after my last visit this evening. I’m hoping she felt warm and loved.

I will miss her. She acted more like a cat than a chicken. Loved to be held and pet more than any of my other girls. She was my smallest and so sweet. RIP Miss Maples

Thank you all for your help, I’m glad I was able to try some things I wouldn’t have otherwise known to try. Unfortunately, she did not make it, she rallied all day but died shortly after my last visit this evening. I’m hoping she felt warm and loved.

I will miss her. She acted more like a cat than a chicken. Loved to be held and pet more than any of my other girls. She was my smallest and so sweet. RIP Miss Maples
I'm sorry about Miss Maples :hugs

Yes, I'm sure she felt loved and warm, she knew you were there.

I am so sorry that you have lost Miss Maples! I will be praying for you and her and I hope that you will be able to overcome your loss and always remember her. 🙏:hugs💚

Back
Top Bottom