Hen Currently Dying, How to Help?

Rnkjones

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
North Texas
I found one of my sweet girls lying in the run this morning. When i picked her up a soft egg fell out. (First egg of the season) She is still breathing but wont stand or open her eyes. I have been holding her and dropping electrolyte water in her mouth. She sometimes will swallow it.

I’m not sure if there’s something more I can be doing. She is 3, otherwise healthy. It is 70 degrees here so not heat related.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I found one of my sweet girls lying in the run this morning. When i picked her up a soft egg fell out. She is still breathing but wont stand or open her eyes. I have been holding her and dropping electrolyte water in her mouth. She sometimes will swallow it.

I’m not sure if there’s something more I can be doing. She is 3, otherwise healthy. It is 70 degrees here so not heat related.
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@azygous
@aart

I would bring her to a basket or wired dog crate to separate her. Continue giving fluids, suag water or electrolytes. I would give a human 600 mg calcium with vitamin D tablet orally into her beak, and continue that daily for a few days. Is she able to poop? She may be having some glitch or reproductive disorder. Let us know how she gets along.

I would bring her to a basket or wired dog crate to separate her. Continue giving fluids, suag water or electrolytes. I would give a human 600 mg calcium with vitamin D tablet orally into her beak, and continue that daily for a few days. Is she able to poop? She may be having some glitch or reproductive disorder. Let us know how she gets along.
Will do.

She has been on her belly all morning, she doesn’t seem to be pooping. I was wondering if I should try to bathe her or if that would just be too much for her right now.

Last edited:
Will do.

She has been on her belly all morning, she doesn’t seem to be pooping. I was wondering if I should try to bathe her or if that would just be too much for her right now.
Giving her vitamin D and Epson salt bath would be great. Just dry her with a hair dryer at low setting. All my chickens love it! If possible, give her some antibiotics to prevent infection.

This hen may have more going on than just a possible second egg trying to come out. It sounds like she could be running on empty calcium levels and her body is taking it out of her blood depriving her heart from the calcium it needs to function. It's crucial you give her at least 600mg of calcium immediately as well as getting some sugar water with electrolytes into her to boost her glucose as well as the sodium and potassium her heart sorely may need to avoid heart failure.

I got some warm soapy water and cleaned the area without submerging her. It was smelling really bad and I saw a worm. I also gave her a crushed up calcium d3 pill. Not sure if I did that correctly thought. Now just letting her rest on my lap.
Continuing to give her some SavAChick electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom