Hen dead, head and neck gone

Weasels are very difficult to trap.
depends on the bait and set. location is every thing, i use weasel boxes with a rat trap (just set them last night for a weasel i saw yesterday) baited with meat

also talked to my friend who is a trapper and recommends for weasels if they won't get caught in a rat trap use a 110 or 120 (legal/if you can) conibear trap in a box. and this guy gets like 200-300 weasels a year on his trap line. :)

Weasels are very difficult to trap.

If I see a weasel on my game cam I'll eat it lol. I was just doing a search on weasels in Indiana, they are indeed here but in very small numbers and rarely seen. I live about a mile from a reservoir so it's not out of the question, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this was a much more mundane predator. I know I have possums around, and I know there are coons and skunks in large numbers. The coop is a framed out part of a larger barn and any one of these creatures (including a weasel) could have taken up residence. This has built up so much now I hope I catch SOMETHING lol. Other than one of my cats, that is.

depends on the bait and set. location is every thing, i use weasel boxes with a rat trap (just set them last night for a weasel i saw yesterday) baited with meat

also talked to my friend who is a trapper and recommends for weasels if they won't get caught in a rat trap use a 110 or 120 (legal/if you can) conibear trap in a box. and this guy gets like 200-300 weasels a year on his trap line. :)

what part of the country/state are you in?

We'll see, and I'll post if I get any game cam pics or anything in the trap. Do you think wet cat food would be a good bait?
Use an oatmeal cookie and put vanilla flavoring on it. Then you won't catch any cats. Maybe a possum. I left the little possums cause we have bad ticks. The big ones and the raccoons went elsewhere.

I think raccoon - hope you get a game cam set up.

I plan on it, I have one that's never been used, put the batteries in it, it worked for a minute then quit. The batteries (C) have been in the drawer for a few years, so I suppose they went bad, just have to pick up some new ones today. On a good note, there's not been another chicken lost, BUT I have found a pile of egg shells in the barn. So something's prowling around in there!

Did you every find out what got your hen? I'm interested since I lost two birds. One is completely gone. The other (Igor - because she was a hunchback) was decapitated and insides gone right inside the coop. The breast/meat was all left.

Back
Top Bottom