Hen destroying and eating eggs

a simple yet, rough suggestion.... to give your hens some elbow room.
here is my basic idea....
View attachment 2480505

I'm currently modifying our coops inside area for our silkies.... and will be updating with some good framing images that you can use as a brainstorming aid to come up with your solution. your basically making a box with an inside skeleton and sitting it on a set of saw horses that you have trimmed the legs to have the box equal to the original coops floor.

heres what I used to find saw horse details

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=saw+horse&t=ffsb&atb=v219-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

a sheet of plywood can be $12-35 (depending on the thickness you want. I would stay 1/4" or thicker. probably 3-4 of the 2"x2"x8' or 2"x3"x8' and a single 2"x4"x8' = I'd expect $10-15 for all for these boards

a box of carpendry screws ~1 5/8" long be extra careful so they don't poke thru the wood into the air space that could scratch or poke a hen to bleed.

then the cost of wood to make the saw horses... FYI there is a page that shows how to make pare of horses out of a used pallet! very solid and simple design too!

so, listen to the wisdom of the others who have walked this path before us and go forth and have fun!
Thank you very much for this post, awesome idea and inspiration. I will definitely think about it!

What exactly are you feeding them?
I have a complex pre-made mix from a local supplier (that should have everything, from protein, to calcium, vitamins, minerals etc.), but these winter days I also make mix of my own from various seeds, grinded corn, fish powder, calcium grit, mix of vitamins and minerals and beer/brewer yeasts.

Look on amazon. They have a bunch of them that a) might work for your setup, or b) explain how it works... c) might give you a hint on what to do.

Pretty feeble response, actually, but I thought it might be pretty easy for you to see.

Oh, and this might help too:

Please be aware this is an illustrational photo and you don't see any measurements, so size estimate is very subjective.
Well, we have much experience looking at prefab coops, and know from that long experience that the population claims of coop manufacturers are often greatly exaggerated.
But, yes, if you could provide dimensions, that would be great.

There are two roost bars that can accommodate 6 roosting hens without a problem.
Roost bars are at least 2"(5cm) wide, and 12"(30cm) from the walls, and 18"(46cm) between roosts?

fit in those two nest boxes
Sleeping in the nests is a sure sign that the roosts/spacings are inadequate.

Well, we have much experience looking at prefab coops, and know from that long experience that the population claims of coop manufacturers are often greatly exaggerated.
But, yes, if you could provide dimensions, that would be great.

Roost bars are at least 2"(5cm) wide, and 12"(30cm) from the walls, and 18"(46cm) between roosts?

Sleeping in the nests is a sure sign that the roosts/spacings are inadequate.
Yes, they are, except the size between them is less than that, unfortunately. I would say they are about 30 cm apart. In any case, none of the hens is using them at all, so I wouldn't expect that sleeping in nests is a sign of inadequate roosts. They are just not used to roosting (perhaps due to their history as ex-battery hens) and when the nights were cold and they had no feathers, they just got used to getting all together in the nests as I believe it made them warmer.

How about nest box curtains, couldn't that be an easy and effective solution to this?

1610116438981.png

Yes, they are, except the size between them is less than that, unfortunately. I would say they are about 30 cm apart. In any case, none of the hens is using them at all, so I wouldn't expect that sleeping in nests is a sign of inadequate roosts. They are just not used to roosting (perhaps due to their history as ex-battery hens) and when the nights were cold and they had no feathers, they just got used to getting all together in the nests as I believe it made them warmer.
Could be because they are battery birds and/or could be because the roosts are too small in size to be comfortable.

How about nest box curtains, couldn't that be an easy and effective solution to this?
I doubt curtains would work.
Something more solid is the way to keep them from sleeping in the nests.

Could be because they are battery birds and/or could be because the roosts are too small in size to be comfortable.

I doubt curtains would work.
Something more solid is the way to keep them from sleeping in the nests.
Oh, I meant in regards to that egg-eating hen. The article said that the curtains keep the nests dark and since the hens can't see the eggs, they don't peck at them. Seems like something worth trying.

Oh, I meant in regards to that egg-eating hen. The article said that the curtains keep the nests dark and since the hens can't see the eggs, they don't peck at them. Seems like something worth trying.
Maybe.
Crowding stress could also be part of the egg eating problem....
....even tho battery birds are used to being crowded.

Maybe.
Crowding stress could also be part of the egg eating problem....
....even tho battery birds are used to being crowded.
Crowding stress as in not enough space? I feel like they have plenty of space outside and they rarely spend their time in the coop and if so, 1-2 hens at a time... So I wouldn't expect it would be due to that.

Back
Top Bottom