Hen Did the Wing Drag at Another Hen...Weird

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
My two year old SLW hen Lorelei was approached by a lower-in-rank BR hen in the pen while free ranging. Lorelei dropped and dragged her wing and stomped her feet, an exact imitation of the dance Hawkeye does for the Girls! Anyone ever see this from hen to hen? I thought it was interesting. I know at times I'll see cockerels do it toward one another or Hawkeye toward his son, almost like putting a lesser ranking bird in its place. I've often thought it wasn't just a flirting thing.

ep.gif

Maybe it is some sort of dominance thing too.
idunno.gif

This was the first time in all my chicken-owning days I'd seen one of my hens to this dance thing. I thought the dance in general was a dominance display, not only a flirting display, but I'd never seen a hen do it. Later on, my 16 week old Barred Rock cockerel tried to get frisky with that same SLW hen. Lorelei shook him loose and chased him all over the yard, LOL. She's one tough broad! I told him those Wyandotte sisters were tough cookies, but guess he didn't listen.

the only time ive seen a hen do anything close to that is when i get to close to her and her chicks and she is getting ready to flog me,chickens, learn something every day

Last edited:
I took in a retiree yesterday, the last of my neigbors chickens, she is 9. She did this chest butting thing with my GLR, like running at each other like guys do at foot ball games?! It was amusing and up until now I don't think I had a dominant hen...I'll watch to see if grandma wins!

Lorelei is not the head hen. My RIR, Ruby, is the leader. However, recently, if you recall, one of my three SLW hens, Lacy, died suddenly from egg related issues, far as we can determine. Lacy was very bossy around the feed and with other hens, which I'd never really seen Lorelei do. Yesterday, Lorelei was relentless in pecking others at the feeder as well, worse than even Lacy. It's the oddest thing, almost like she's taking up the slack left by the hole in the flock left by her sister. I know I'm putting my own slant on it, but Lorelei has never been like that before Lacy was gone. And now the wing dragging thing....just an odd behavior change in her I've noticed.

Back
Top Bottom