Hen didn't roost like usual....something wrong???

sookiesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
Have 2 Silkie hens. They have a wire enclosure and a house they fly into to roost at night. I always go out there and shut the side trap door, just in case a raccoon gets in. Tonight I went out there, and checked on them first, and, thank God, noticed that Pippie wasn't in there. I started to panic then thought I heard a noise, and she's outside in the snow. I live in NJ. Almost like she couldn't fly up or something. Does anyone know if that means anything? She's always the first hen in the house. So I know she doesn't wait til the very end, like Pumpkin does. Thank you for any help you can offer.........

Natasha (panic sticken)

Really? OK. I do have both of them inside right now for the night, in a cage to get them warmed up. She seemed to be making her normal sounds. I'm praying she's ok. Almost thought she somehow got loose and was attacked.

Sometimes my chicken goes and sleeps on the nesting box across the coop from the perch and other times she jumps up on the perch with the rest of them

Have 2 Silkie hens. They have a wire enclosure and a house they fly into to roost at night. I always go out there and shut the side trap door, just in case a raccoon gets in. Tonight I went out there, and checked on them first, and, thank God, noticed that Pippie wasn't in there. I started to panic then thought I heard a noise, and she's outside in the snow. I live in NJ. Almost like she couldn't fly up or something. Does anyone know if that means anything? She's always the first hen in the house. So I know she doesn't wait til the very end, like Pumpkin does. Thank you for any help you can offer.........

Natasha (panic sticken)

Hi, Natasha ... if you're gettin' panic stricken by unusual behaviors, then you're gonna be really good at keepin' a close eye on your birds (right up until you have a stroke or a nervous breakdown ~'-)

The best way to keep that from happenin' is to eat healthy foods, and become as informed about 'chickenry' as you can. There are some links in the signature of this post that oughta be in your bookmarks. And, that one on diagnosing diseases based upon symptoms is something you oughta read a few times, so you'll know what it is you should be lookin' for, should their behaviors raise any red flags.

There's also a really good online presentation of the anatomy of the chicken >>peck here<< to open an introduction to it (also in a new window ~'-)

Hi, Natasha ... if you're gettin' panic stricken by unusual behaviors, then you're gonna be really good at keepin' a close eye on your birds (right up until you have a stroke or a nervous breakdown ~'-)

The best way to keep that from happenin' is to eat healthy foods, and become as informed about 'chickenry' as you can. There are some links in the signature of this post that oughta be in your bookmarks. And, that one on diagnosing diseases based upon symptoms is something you oughta read a few times, so you'll know what it is you should be lookin' for, should their behaviors raise any red flags.

There's also a really good online presentation of the anatomy of the chicken >>peck here<< to open an introduction to it (also in a new window ~'-)

I know I may sound crazy, but I just love my animals sooo much. I know they don't live forever, but she's only 2 or 3, I think. I spend alot of time with them and they are trained pretty well coming to their names and such. So, I'm very aware of all their behaviors. She's a strange chicken. Usually in the morning, she doesn't like to poop in house, at least not much, because I'll let them out in their pen and she'll go right away, like she was almost waiting. I can almost set a clock to her.

You don't sound crazy to me (got a big ol' smile on my face, just thinkin' about it ~'-)

I keep tryin' to tell myself that my chickens/guineas are to remain little more than slots on my farm reports, so as to avoid excessive taxation, but a handful of 'em keep on peckin' their way through my armor of logic. Still haven't name 'em; just can't really afford to allow myself to, knowing how fragile, and often temporary, they are by design. I do truly love havin' around, and do make sure 'n take really good care of 'em while they're here.

Don't recall sheddin' a tear for any specific chicken, 'til I joined BYC ... there's been a few since, but for those that suffer the loss(es) of their own. That's why I'm overly cautious about any suggestions I make, and do extensive research (and, what I strongly urge others to do, as well ~'-)

And, despite soundin' all calm/cool/collective? I couldn't help but feel my heart hit my stomach when I first saw my keets lyin' flat on ... just remembered havin' a pic ...

Don't PANIC ... they're just SLEEPING that way ~'-)
See what I mean? Next time 'round, this won't scare me nearly so bad. We gain greater knowledge through our experiences, and doing deeper research and study, including the very close observation that you've been doin' w/ your birds. And, that helps us to be more capable of caring for them, which keep them healthier, which make us happiest ~'-)

Back
Top Bottom