Hen died, are other hen's eggs safe?

Phamilton

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2020
Australia
Hi guys,

I'm a first time chicken owner. I had a small flock of 5 chickens (all pullets) raised from eggs.
I got them from a reputable company that let's you incubate fertilised eggs.

All hens (red sex links) were healthy up until 1 month ago (they were 16 weeks old), when one got lethargic and sick, and she passed away a day later. The rest were fine for the next 2 weeks, then a 2nd bird stopped eating. I tried to help her, isolated her, tried to hand feed and water her, but she wouldn't eat. Her droppings were just clear liquid and she passed away that night.

It was strange, because the day before she was very energetic and foreging and hanging out with the flock as normal, then deteriorated and died in 24 hours. There was a huge heatwave 3 days before she died, but it had passed when she showed symptoms.

Its been another 2 - 3 weeks, and the remaining 3 chickens seem fine. Eating well, playing etc. Now one of my pullets has laid her first egg!! But I am not sure if it is safe to eat, as I'm not sure what the other 2 birds died of and if the remaining birds are compromised.

Does anyone have advice for me? Should I wait a bit longer to make sure none of the remaining birds get sick? Can I eat the egg? Is there a way to test the egg to make sure its ok?

I am in the city (Sydney, Australia), the chickens live in my backyard. There are no rural animals around.

Thanks for any advice!

It would be fine to eat the eggs. Congratulations on your first egg. Sorry that you lost 2 of your pullets though. You might want to have your vet do a fecal float test for coccidiosis or worms, just in case that was the cause of death. If you cannot do that and can get amprollium, Coxoid, or other treatment for coccidiosis to put in the water for a few days, that might make you feel safer. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom