Hen Died From Something Relating to breathing issues

AnimalLover117

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
One of our Lavender Orpingtons, my favorite chicken 🥺 named Lavinia died while I was at work. My family tried helping her and giving her stuff to help, but in the end they said she was gasping for air as she was dying. I want to figure out what it was, so we have this video of her...

Your video is marked private.
Sorry about your hen.
What's her diet, age, set up?
For diet, our chickens free range all day and they also have a hen layer crumble feed as well as scratch grains. We also give them mealworms occasionally and lots of produce (lettuce, watermelon, berries, etc...). She was just short of a year old. As for set up, our chickens free range in our yard all day, during bad weather we have them stay in their large run, and they sleep in a coop at night.

For diet, our chickens free range all day and they also have a hen layer crumble feed as well as scratch grains. We also give them mealworms occasionally and lots of produce (lettuce, watermelon, berries, etc...). She was just short of a year old. As for set up, our chickens free range in our yard all day, during bad weather we have them stay in their large run, and they sleep in a coop at night.
Ok, how much scratch grains and treats?
could she have found something moldy or toxic in your yard?

Ok, how much scratch grains and treats?
could she have found something moldy or toxic in your yard?
Well usually the treats are almost daily if they are produce scraps, mealworms a few times a week at max. It is possible if she found something toxic or moldy as the previous owners left random objects scattered across the yard which we find as it is unburied/ or in plain sight and we throw it away. They have had a lot of scratch grains in their food lately, but mostly they've been foraging

You should be able to do a quick google search for your area, or contact a vet.

Usually the shipping and results will cost somewhere in the area of $50 - but absolutley worth every Penny if you can get ahead of something preventable.

I have only done it once and it was years ago.

You'll want to get her into the refrigerator as quickly as possible though.

Back
Top Bottom