Hen died mysteriously ...

Cati

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Cincinnati
Our beloved Bean died this morning. I found her on the laying nest dead. She had a bloody-looking round thing coming out instead of an egg. She was only 3 years old. We noticed yesterday that she was walking a bit wobbly and sitting down a lot, but the day before that she was running around with the other chickens. All three of our 3 year old chickens stopped laying eggs about a month ago . That seems a little early from what I've read. Is it possible they all have some kind of intestinal disease? Thanks for your advice.

Here are some specifics about her:

She was 3 years old, Red Star, no idea on weight. She only exhibited the symptoms in the last day or two (acting tired and sitting down and wobbling a lot). Her egg production was down--we don't think she was laying anything for the past month. One other bird stopped laying but seems to be ok. No injuries other than what I mentioned with the bloody looking protrusion. She was eating ok but not vigorously up until her death. Her poop was normal, possibly on the running side. We didn't administer any treatments and don't have any photos. Her housing is a small coop she shared with two other birds with straw as the bedding.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
:. Hopefully someone will be along soon who can help. In the meantime, add your answers to these questions to your post
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

It does sound like she had a prolapse, I'm so sorry! Give the other hens a good check, and keep an eye on their behaviors, since they're off lay too.

I don't see where you're from, but if it's too stinking hot, it could be that they're taking a break until it cools off a little. Adding a fan in the coop, and lots of ice water/frozen water jugs will help cool them down. Given that they're red stars though, they could just be burnt out. With hybrids like them, they tend to lay much more frequently, over a shorter period of time, than other breeds, and 3 years is I think a pretty good stretch for them. Had they molted recently before stopping laying?

If you want to find out the cause of death, send your chicken in to UC Davis Animal Safety Lab - they to free encropsy to find out what killed yoru chicken. you can find further information at www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu - I just dropped my Big Mama off to find out the cause of her death - she passed away yesterday. You can drop off at any of the 4 locations or Fedex overnight. They said not to freeze the body. I doubled bagged Big Mama and put her in ice box with a few bags of ice.

Thank you all for your messages. I do believe you are right that it was prolapse. Just odd that she had no sign of it before bed and then was dead in the morning. I would pursue finding out the cause of death but she is already buried (for the kids). I will watch the other chickens to make sure they are ok. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom