Hen digging at feathers but can’t find signs of anything to know how to treat

Pro2amend

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2021
I have a 6yr Dominique hen that started to dig on the back of her neck and top of lower back but not the vent or under wing areas. When she does this she makes a noise I haven’t heard before as if she’s very annoyed or aggravated. I know not very descript or helpful She’ll do this while in the run or when she is out freeranging. She acts normal but then stops in the middle of what she is doing and digs or chew like on the feathers. It’s been a week. I cannot find signs of mites or lice. The other three hens do not seem to behaving differently. they all dust bathe frequently

1) other ideas of what this can be?
2). Does it hurt them if I really move feathers around to check close to their skin? I try to get to their skin as best as possible but have done so in a more delicate way where perhaps I’m just not seeing yet.

if she is eating the feathers then she need protein.
"It's usually a protein or a penning issue. They either need a higher protein feed, more animal protein, or they're in too small of a pen and are stressed."

Thanks. I’ll give her some added food that may help supplement protein to see if that helps, like a cooked egg.
I currently feed Purim’s layena. Have been since young adults. I would t describe it as eating feathers though. But this is new to me

for penning, They are in a 6x14 covered pen that includes a 4x6 raised coop. I happen to be adding an 8x10 run extension because I have 4 chicks in this week.
This behavior started before I started on it.

on the stress, maybe so. They do seem to run off the low girl from the coop more frequently when they are in there to lay. I have three next boxes though.

Yeah still seems same. I meant to add I only have 4 chickens in that pen currently so not tight

Still looking to see if any mites or lice but haven’t found any.

I did see a fox come through the yard yesterday so wonder if he’s been around stressing them. I put up a trail cam to monitor. The pen is very secure

Taylorhens

Chirping​

8 Years

"I rescued a duck a while back and put it in with my chicks. They are now inseparable. Duck has a coniption fit if more than ten feet away from her chickens. Thinks she is a chicken. So yes...they can live together. Duck sleeps beneath the roost bars ever night (and gets pooped on quite often for it). She follows my free ranging flock around all day."

Back
Top Bottom