Hen disappeared

Msyr

Songster
9 Years
Dec 27, 2014
We have two pullets and one cockerel, but today I can't seem to find the last pullet. They free range the property, and we've never had any issues with predators. I'm not home often, but according to my family, they've seen her wandering alone and also disappearing for periods. We just recently found eggs from both pullets on the same day, which I found a bit odd since they're different breed mixes. I'm worried she has made a nest somewhere outside and gotten broody. It's cold and snowy, about 0 Celsius, so no chance of eggs hatching probably. Has anyone experienced this, and where would she potentially be?

Hopefully she has gone broody on a hidden nest, but there is also a possibility that she has been taken by a predator. Any possibility of locking the remaining birds up?
I have my doubts she has been taken by a predator, I've looked around for feathers/blood which should be easy to find in shallow snow. Of course, there could be an opportunistic dog, but I've had both bantam chickens and ducks with ducklings wander around no problem (we lock them up during the night ofc). The remaining two are also acting calm, and I haven't heard any ruckus today either. Seems she disappeared after my father let them out around 4 hours ago.

I'm still worried though, and having her be outside at night in these conditions would be bad...

I have my doubts she has been taken by a predator, I've looked around for feathers/blood which should be easy to find in shallow snow. Of course, there could be an opportunistic dog, but I've had both bantam chickens and ducks with ducklings wander around no problem (we lock them up during the night ofc). The remaining two are also acting calm, and I haven't heard any ruckus today either. Seems she disappeared after my father let them out around 4 hours ago.

I'm still worried though, and having her be outside at night in these conditions would be bad...
Hopefully she turns up. Ive had some go wandering for a few hours but they turn up close to bedtime. If not then I know something has happened. I don't know your surroundings (suburbs, rural, etc) but I've had some go missing without a trace.

Check every nook and cranny for her on a hidden nest. What color are her feathers? A red feathered bird would be easy, a white one would not.

Check every nook and cranny for her on a hidden nest. What color are her feathers? A red feathered bird would be easy, a white one would not.
Screenshot_20211127-161356_Snapchat.jpg
This is an older pic of her. She's quite hard to spot, as there isn't that much snow yet, less than 5cm.

Hopefully she turns up. Ive had some go wandering for a few hours but they turn up close to bedtime. If not then I know something has happened. I don't know your surroundings (suburbs, rural, etc) but I've had some go missing without a trace.
It's quite rural around here, but not quite in the middle of nowhere. Foxes and badgers exist, but are nocturnal and rare, never seen one in person. It's already getting dark, so I'm hoping she turns out within the next hour.

Back
Top Bottom