Hen does not produce shell ....

Kimsgirls

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
Lecanto, Florida
Hi, I have 8 hens and they have been producing well since they started laying in April. For a while now I have noticed liquid in the nest box but no shell. Then recently, 1 of my Barred Rocks started acting "egg bound" and liquid will come out of her. I have noticed this 2 times in the past 2 weeks. I "palpated" her and felt warm liquid but nothing hard. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Hi, I have 8 hens and they have been producing well since they started laying in April. For a while now I have noticed liquid in the nest box but no shell. Then recently, 1 of my Barred Rocks started acting "egg bound" and liquid will come out of her. I have noticed this 2 times in the past 2 weeks. I "palpated" her and felt warm liquid but nothing hard. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
A wet spot in nest is usually indicative of a soft or thin shell being laid, easily broken the fairly eaten...but if you find no shell it's hard to assess as they usually eat it up.

Is her belly(from just below vent to down between her legs) bloated larger than your other birds?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Tho if only one bird is laying 'bad' eggs,
it's probably not their diet but a defect or disease affecting only one bird.

How old are your birds?
...and....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-10-29_8-10-37.png

Hi, thank you all for the responses. We are in Florida and the weather is getting really nice right now. Our hens are a year old and we feed them a quality non-gmo complete layer formula which is supposed to have some oyster shell in it. Since this no-shell thing started we have been supplementing with pure oyster shell. Also, mealworm treats and some kitchen scraps. They get a couple hours a day free range time and otherwise have been very healthy.

Back
Top Bottom