Hen doesn’t want rooster to mate

troyle

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2019
A noob question but why will my hen let my rooster mate sometimes and sometimes not?

Could age affect this since the hen is 2 years and the rooster is 1 year but they been paired for a long time. To answer ur question I have 2 adult hens

Older hens often will not willingly accept very young roosters/cockerels as they are often misbehaving and do not woo them properly.

Only two hens for a one year old and therefore hormonally agitated rooster usually is way to little. He might even stress them to the point of starvation and/or falling ill as constantly trying to avoid him does not leave them enough time for food, personal hygiene and rest etc.

You might want to consider adding some more adult hens to create a more bearable arrangement for your existing hens.

To fertilize her eggs it would suffice once or twice a fortnight. So she might just not be in the mood every time the rooster is anxious to...;)

My rooster chases them around the yard and has his way with them. They don't want any part of it. It makes me feel really bad, but other than that he is a very good boy.

My Sumatra have never let my male mate, lol. Four or five years later he still hadn't had a chance to father.

My Pheonix has the best chance because he's a gentleman and waits for a hen to squat and call him over.

My mixed rooster just is fast and sting enough to grab the nearest hen when he wants to

Could age affect this since the hen is 2 years and the rooster is 1 year but they been paired for a long time. To answer ur question I have 2 adult hens

Back
Top Bottom