Hen doesnt accept bought chicks

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a hen that has been brooding eggs (not fertile) for 3 weeks. Yesterday I bought chicks and tried to put them under her, but it did not work. She started to peck at them. The mistake was that I didn't wait for a full darkness!! I tried again at night, with a little flashlight, and then when she just felt it moving under her wings, she started pecking at what she was feeling. I'm afraid she “learned the trick” and now I will not have a chance to do it again. I really need advice:(:(:(.
The hen is about 8 months old (very young, raised her myself). First time broody... Is it related? And what can I do now to fix my mistake? Will she remember if I try tonight too? I'm really afraid she will kill them in the next try if she remembers it....

Thank you all

Update: I contact a friend who lives near, he has some Leghorn eggs that are about to hatch in his incubator. He said he can give me some. Can it work?? To put them ander her?? Im afraid she will kill any chick she sees after the case yesterday, even if she hatched it

she might have been pecking the chicks to push them under her. it helps if the chicks are peeping, since hens talk to chicks before they see them. how old are the chicks?

she might have been pecking the chicks to push them under her. it helps if the chicks are peeping, since hens talk to chicks before they see them. how old are the chicks?
1 day old. She was attacking them making an angry voice. She couldve killed them, im sure

It might or it might not. She's still rather young to be brooding so she's probably gonna fail once or twice before giving a good effort
I really feel bad for her. Sitting on her eggs fir three weeks and getting nothing. Is there anything i can do? She deserves to be a mother

1 day old. She was attacking them making an angry voice. She couldve killed them, im sure
1 day old should be OK. usually broody hens are in a zombie trance for most of the day. i usually just go in the daytime while they are zoned out, lift a wing and the chick crawls under by itself. she doesn't even notice something is under her until a few hours later.

I really feel bad for her. Sitting on her eggs fir three weeks and getting nothing. Is there anything i can do? She deserves to be a mother
Why didn't her own eggs hatch? Not every broody is going to be a great or even tolerable mother. U have several that hatched from fantastic mothers that lose clutches of a dozen in less than an afternoon because they're bad at being a mom

Why didn't her own eggs hatch? Not every broody is going to be a great or even tolerable mother. U have several that hatched from fantastic mothers that lose clutches of a dozen in less than an afternoon because they're bad at being a mom
Her own eggs didnt hatch because they arent fertile..... She wanted so much to go broody so i planned on buying chicks for her. Now she gets nothing

Back
Top Bottom