Hen Doesn't Like To Sleep in Coop

Chickenlovers6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 3, 2013
I have a hen that likes to sleep outside at night. By the time I go outside to close them up, it's already dark and I can't find her, although she always survives each and every night. If I try to go out there when it's light to see where she runs off to, they are all still wandering about the backyard (they are free range). Someone please help!

You need to go out before dark and round them up and get them in the coop, at least a half hour before dark, unfortunately it's only a matter of before some night time predators finds her.

Thank you for the advice I hope I find where she's hiding and why!!! I will try to get em in the coop before dark tonight and all the nights until she gets into the habit of sleeping in the coop again. Thanks again!

She probably is at the bottom of the pecking order, make sure you have enough roosts so she doesn't have to roost right next to the more dominant ones because they will harass her. I might spend an evening observing them before dark to watch where she goes, watching from a distance so she doesn't get suspicious. Good luck.

There's probably a good reason why she's reluctant to sleep inside the coop where it's safe. How long has this been going on? If she's been doing this all her life, then it's a bad habit and she needs to be coop trained by shutting her up inside for several days until she imprints on it once again.

If it's a recent development, then something is happening at roosting time where she is fearful of taking her chances in the coop. Roosting time can be rather competitive and there are sometimes conflicts where hens will knock others off the perch or peck at them unmercifully when they try to roost.

The best thing you can do is gather her up with the others and herd them into the coop early enough where everyone can still see what they're doing, including you. You will be able to stand and observe their actions while they roost and see what happens to the reluctant hen.

From what you observe, you may be able to take steps to make roosting more comfortable for the reluctant hen, and perhaps others as well.

I have one that likes to sleep in the same tree, same branch. It's been a week now that I have been taking her down and putting her in the coop. I am hoping she will start going in there on her own soon. Good luck and look in a tree that's probably where she is sleeping

There's probably a good reason why she's reluctant to sleep inside the coop where it's safe. How long has this been going on? If she's been doing this all her life, then it's a bad habit and she needs to be coop trained by shutting her up inside for several days until she imprints on it once again.

If it's a recent development, then something is happening at roosting time where she is fearful of taking her chances in the coop. Roosting time can be rather competitive and there are sometimes conflicts where hens will knock others off the perch or peck at them unmercifully when they try to roost.

The best thing you can do is gather her up with the others and herd them into the coop early enough where everyone can still see what they're doing, including you. You will be able to stand and observe their actions while they roost and see what happens to the reluctant hen.

From what you observe, you may be able to take steps to make roosting more comfortable for the reluctant hen, and perhaps others as well.
Great advice.

After making sure your have enough roost space for everyone I would suggest leaving them cooped up for a few days/nights, get her back in the habit of coop roosting.

Thanks everyone! After a winter of mostly staying in the run, I started to let them run around the yard again and haven't had anymore problems with it. We also put a barrier of chicken wire on the top of the fence in case the problem starts again, but I doubt it! Thanks to everyone who helped!

Back
Top Bottom