Hen doesn't look too good- Help please!

eggsrcool

Sussex Fanatic
10 Years
May 18, 2009
England, United Kingdom
One of my light sussex hens has come out of broodiness- about a week ago- and doesn't look too well. If I approach her, she will move away and still walks around. She does look quite large-don;t know if its feathers or not, and she spends some of the time standing around with her eyes closed and neck near her body. It only appeared today, she may just be tired, but I will post back to say if shes ok tomorrow. I gave her some yoghurt and mixed corn together, to get some good bacteria in. Any ideas or cures for what this problem could be? Thanks

Also her crop is nearly full, I can feel food inside it.

Last edited:
She must be in her first trimester. Sounds just like my wife.

J/K.

All of my hens who come off broody are puffed up and such...however...they are also always more energetic than ever because they are caring for their chicks.

Does this hen have chicks or did she lose them?

How long was she broody?

Nine weeks is too long.

She needs to be coddled and carefully brought back to full health or else she will die.

During broodiness they only poop, eat, and drink once a day. They usually don't eat as much as they need and really sacrifice things because they know their bodies can take it for 21 days or so.

Google has 2 definitions:

pamper: treat with excessive indulgence; "grandparents often pamper the children"; "Let's not mollycoddle our students!"

cook in nearly boiling water; "coddle eggs"

I meant the first one.
tongue.png

Basically treat her like she is your $1,000 exotic chihuahua, except better because she will give back to you for what you give her eggs and poop, while the chihuahua will just produce poop.

If you can isolate her from the other chickens that would help too.

Chickens are like humans, our greatest stresses and trials in life come from your own species and usually your own family.

Just for the record, that is probably the only way that chickens are like humans. In every other way they are basically dinosaurs but with smaller brains and smaller eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom