Hen doing egg song to call me outside?

CuriousBeaks

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
Virginia, USA, Midgard
So, one of my three hens(her name is Faith) will do what I can only interpret as her calling me outside. She will stand near the front porch(where I usually enter and leave the house from), and do something that sounds a lot like the egg song... until I come out onto the porch, and then she stops. If I go back in, sometimes she wanders off, and sometimes she waits a few minutes and continues doing it.

She is also the only one of my hens who does the squatting thing when I approach her from behind or start picking her up.

I was thinking... does she maybe think I am a rooster, and she's "calling" for me to come outside?

Sure, why not? The "egg song" isn't so much announcing an egg has been laid than it is a sounding for rejoining the group. She is saying, "Where are you? I am here." You are a big part of her daily life, so of course you would be included in this ritual to reconnect with the flock.

Sure, why not? The "egg song" isn't so much announcing an egg has been laid than it is a sounding for rejoining the group. She is saying, "Where are you? I am here." You are a big part of her daily life, so of course you would be included in this ritual to reconnect with the flock.

Dang, my 6 months old New Hampshire hen is doing the egg song, but I can't find any eggs. Should I think she's singing for some other reason, too?

Back
Top Bottom