Hen doing something weird

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
I have a hen that whenever she gets pecked (nothing violent, just like normal pecking order stuff), she bocks loudly (expected) but her head jerks down under her body and looks like it is stuck and then she backs up furiously, kind of trying to shake her head at the same time. It stops when she runs into another chicken or the wall of the coop or something.

Is that normal? Or is there something physically wrong with her? It literally looks like her head is stuck under her. I've seen her do it twice when pecked by the dominant hen and once when our cockerel was trying to mate her.

I have a hen that whenever she gets pecked (nothing violent, just like normal pecking order stuff), she bocks loudly (expected) but her head jerks down under her body and looks like it is stuck and then she backs up furiously, kind of trying to shake her head at the same time. It stops when she runs into another chicken or the wall of the coop or something.

Is that normal? Or is there something physically wrong with her? It literally looks like her head is stuck under her. I've seen her do it twice when pecked by the dominant hen and once when our cockerel was trying to mate her.
Can you please get a video of her?

Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

What does she eat, including treats?

head jerks down under her body and looks like it is stuck and then she backs up furiously, kind of trying to shake her head at the same time. It stops when she runs into another chicken or the wall of the coop or something.

It literally looks like her head is stuck under her.
👆👆👆

👇👇👇

She is on all flock feed with egg shells and grit offered on the side. Cracked corn a few times a week and yesterday had some cucumbers and squash innards. Treats are every few days and usually leftovers from the garden or leftover fruit.

I'll try to catch it on video tomorrow. She is usually not in the mix of stuff, doesn't bother anyone and doesn't like to be bothered with the others so it's not often she goes to the same treat pile with the head hen.

She is on all flock feed with egg shells and grit offered on the side. Cracked corn a few times a week and yesterday had some cucumbers and squash innards. Treats are every few days and usually leftovers from the garden or leftover fruit.

I'll try to catch it on video tomorrow. She is usually not in the mix of stuff, doesn't bother anyone and doesn't like to be bothered with the others so it's not often she goes to the same treat pile with the head hen.
What breed is she?

She's getting pecked in the head, then doing this action? The backing up, with the head between the legs and shaking is not a broody behavior.
It sounds more like something neurological, but I'd like to see it before I make any assumptions.

She's only what - 20weeks old and hasn't even begun to lay eggs? It's not impossible to go broody before ever laying an egg, but I'd say it'd be unusual.

Back
Top Bottom