Hen doing something weird

I'm guessing neurological as well. I had an EE that did that and it almost seems like some form of brain damage from being pecked in the head. Other than the oddity of it it didn't really affect anything, other than her backing up into things.

What breed is she?

She's getting pecked in the head, then doing this action? The backing up, with the head between the legs and shaking is not a broody behavior.
It sounds more like something neurological, but I'd like to see it before I make any assumptions.

She's only what - 20weeks old and hasn't even begun to lay eggs? It's not impossible to go broody before ever laying an egg, but I'd say it'd be unusual.
She is a splash maran.
And yes, getting pecked in the head and then doing this. Except the one time when the rooster was trying to mate her. He's clumsy but I didn't see exactly how he did it, just her tucking and backing up.

She is a splash maran.
And yes, getting pecked in the head and then doing this. Except the one time when the rooster was trying to mate her. He's clumsy but I didn't see exactly how he did it, just her tucking and backing up.
Still sounds neurological.
You can try giving vitamin therapy to see if that helps. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for a couple of weeks.

For youngsters, it's a good idea to provide enough space or some perches/obstacles so they can avoid older birds.

Still sounds neurological.
You can try giving vitamin therapy to see if that helps. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for a couple of weeks.

For youngsters, it's a good idea to provide enough space or some perches/obstacles so they can avoid older birds.
They're all the same age. And she most of the time keeps to herself. No one bothers her and she doesn't bother anyone. My lead hen is just starting to take on her role, so she already has learned to avoid her if she's eating.

Okay, I tried giving some food on the ground with the right players in the right area and this hen is keeping her distance from the head gal. But I did notice that she does it when I pet her right at the base of the neck too. Not as violent or furious as when she gets pecked, but her head drops, she starts tucking it and squirming it from side to side and starts backing up. Not the greatest videos, but basically what it looks like when she gets pecked but slower.

I have seen this behaviour while molting as they get pinched by their own pinfeathers in the neck and bend down and backwards to escape the sensation.

Take a closer look at her neck, she might still have some pin feathers coming in and as soon as their last juvenile molt is over they begin to lay.

So just like what I would buy at the drugstore for people? Vitamin E in a dropper and tab directly to her. What is the trick to giving medicine to chickens?

So just like what I would buy at the drugstore for people? Vitamin E in a dropper and tab directly to her. What is the trick to giving medicine to chickens?
You can give her drops directly, or mix the drops into a small amount of wet or fermented feed (like 1 Tbsp is fine) and feed it to her separately. Or if in tablet form, you can just open up her beak and push it in, they can swallow pills without issue.

I have seen this behaviour while molting as they get pinched by their own pinfeathers in the neck and bend down and backwards to escape the sensation.

Take a closer look at her neck, she might still have some pin feathers coming in and as soon as their last juvenile molt is over they begin to lay.
I agree, this looks more like she's not wanting to be touched instead of something neurological. I've seen this when birds were molting as well.

Back
Top Bottom