Hen dominance behavior

Fallenone05

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
Hi guys! I've had chickens for a few years but saw something new for my flock.

One of my hens (roughly a year old) actually mounted and mated one of the other hens. I know both are laying eggs, as I've seen them both lay and quite often gather 6 for 6 eggs from my coop.

Is it a show of dominance? Is she going through a sex change?

Did they actually touch vents?

So, this evening she did it again. She's only doing this with the hen that's on the bottom of the pecking order, but yes, she is indeed pressing their vents together and doing the typical mating movements like a rooster does. She did lay an egg today though, as I only have 6 hens and got 6 eggs today, unless someone is laying double.

Hi guys! I've had chickens for a few years but saw something new for my flock.

One of my hens (roughly a year old) actually mounted and mated one of the other hens. I know both are laying eggs, as I've seen them both lay and quite often gather 6 for 6 eggs from my coop.

Is it a show of dominance? Is she going through a sex change?
Dominance. Marge did this to Sofi the other day because the hens' daughters are dominating them--hatchlings versus day-olds, I tell ya. Marge was like, "but I'm still your boss, Sofi!"

Integrating the new pullets has upset the pecking order in ways I wasn't expecting. Marge's two daughters have displaced her as Top Hen(s). The new cockerel is having a fabulous time with the entire flock, of course.

Dominance. Marge did this to Sofi the other day because the hens' daughters are dominating them--hatchlings versus day-olds, I tell ya. Marge was like, "but I'm still your boss, Sofi!"

Integrating the new pullets has upset the pecking order in ways I wasn't expecting. Marge's two daughters have displaced her as Top Hen(s). The new cockerel is having a fabulous time with the entire flock, of course.

Mine only started displaying this behavior when I introduced a new hen into the flock, too. The girl that's doing the dominance 'mating' was displaced, big time. 😂 She growls at the new hen but runs and then takes it out on the lowest female. She's only the next one up on the pecking order, so she's definitely being a brat. My boy was killed by some dogs but I've got his son's growing up and am completely integrating everyone now. They free range together but now they're all about to be in the same coop together.

I wonder how everything will change with the pecking order. Honestly though, if she doesn't stop with the 'tude I've been considering rehoming her. Or eating her.

Our Marge has calmed down. It seems like your girl is having an understandable reaction and hope it works out. My hens like places to hide from their problems. 😆

Back
Top Bottom