Hen dominence?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Terrik, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    I have a nine ladies that have all be together for over a year now. I have caught this hen on top of several other hens at different times and during this time she seems to be trying to mating with them, I guess. The bottom hen will be almost laid out flat and the hen on top will be pulling on the feathers of her head. Is this something I should be worried about or is this a normal "thing?"

2. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Sometimes the hen can have a hormone imbalance that makes her act more rooster-ish. They can even develop spurs and crow. If she's laying eggs, she's a hen. But if she's being too aggressive for the other 8, then you may have to make a choice whether or not to keep her.

Come to think of it, though, I know a few women that can be described this way as well. [​IMG] Without the crowing.

1 person likes this.
  3. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    ui ahev heard of many women doing that aswell but either u become rooster like pretend to mate witht he bully or get a rooster or isolate the hen until the pecking order returns to normal then place problem hen back into the flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by