Hen down

Opiumbrella

Songster
Jul 30, 2021
I have a red hen, 12 years old. I found her yesterday laying in a cool place but not moving. She seemed to be breathing heavy and unable to walk. I put her in a comfy hospital pen, and have been trying to care for her. My MIL put some corid in her water just in case, and I've been taking her meals. She eagerly gulps down mealworms, berries, frozen corn, pill bugs I bring her, and drinks her water. But is just laying there. Sometime she pants with her mouth open but has no gurgling or coughing or head shaking.
I think she is just old, but I held her the day she was born, and have held and loved and fed her every day for 12 years since. So if there is something I can do to help I want to know.
And I'm also sure it is not heat related as it was not hot, it was only about 70 degrees and cloudy.

She has no swelling, her crop is emptying, her legs aren't injured, she doesn't have worms, and I'm at a loss. I guess it is a comfort that she and her sisters are all still with me without one sickness or death in all these 12 years, almost thirteen.
Is it possible she had something like a stroke? And now can't walk? I am foraging her tasty bugs, bringing her berries and mealworms, she just are her weight in squash insides lol. I take her out to the grass to sit in the shade with her sisters, and she talks to me when she sees me coming, she just can't get up. And I don't know how to help. Being impacted by both the recent wildfire and pandemic I can't drop 500$ or more to take her to the vet and I feel like the worst chicken mom ever.

Sorry about your sweet older hen, but she is probably approaching the end of her life. Has she laid eggs in recent years? Many older hens may have reproductive problems, such as masses of internally laid eggs. Those can increase in size and press on leg nerves. Fluid in the belly (ascites) is another issue that some hens have. It would make the lower belly enlarged or tight. I would continue to pet and hold her, and make her as comfortable as possible. Offer her favorite foods, and make sure that her crop is emptying overnight. A chicken sling chair sometimes is a good way to get a lame hen up and kept cleaner, while having food and water right in front of them. Here is a link about chicken slings, and I like #31 as well as the one in the video:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

She has no swelling, her crop is emptying, her legs aren't injured, she doesn't have worms, and I'm at a loss. I guess it is a comfort that she and her sisters are all still with me without one sickness or death in all these 12 years, almost thirteen.
Is it possible she had something like a stroke? And now can't walk? I am foraging her tasty bugs, bringing her berries and mealworms, she just are her weight in squash insides lol. I take her out to the grass to sit in the shade with her sisters, and she talks to me when she sees me coming, she just can't get up. And I don't know how to help. Being impacted by both the recent wildfire and pandemic I can't drop 500$ or more to take her to the vet and I feel like the worst chicken mom ever.
You are the best chicken mom! I can only hope my hens live that long, you are taking such good care of her, I don’t doubt it for a second and that’s just based on what I’ve read. It does seem like she’s just old, keep feeding her and making sure she drinks and mingles with her sisters. Just make sure she’s comfortable and happy which I know you’ll do☺️

You are the best chicken mom! I can only hope my hens live that long, you are taking such good care of her, I don’t doubt it for a second and that’s just based on what I’ve read. It does seem like she’s just old, keep feeding her and making sure she drinks and mingles with her sisters. Just make sure she’s comfortable and happy which I know you’ll do☺️
Thank you. I love them very much. It just sucks not being able to do anything to help her get better.
But I will do my best to keep her comfy.

Sorry about your sweet older hen, but she is probably approaching the end of her life. Has she laid eggs in recent years? Many older hens may have reproductive problems, such as masses of internally laid eggs. Those can increase in size and press on leg nerves. Fluid in the belly (ascites) is another issue that some hens have. It would make the lower belly enlarged or tight. I would continue to pet and hold her, and make her as comfortable as possible. Offer her favorite foods, and make sure that her crop is emptying overnight. A chicken sling chair sometimes is a good way to get a lame hen up and kept cleaner, while having food and water right in front of them. Here is a link about chicken slings, and I like #31 as well as the one in the video:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank you. Those are such a good idea. She had strawberries for dinner. And her sister climes up in her cage to roost next to her for the night. So she isn't alone. Her sister has been watching over her for three days since she went down. Keeping all the other younger chickens away from her food and the rooster from messing with her. It's very sweet.
Anyways. Thank you for help and kind words I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom