hen dragging leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbugw, Jan 18, 2016.

1. jbugw

jbugw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Michigan
    One of my hens was sitting on the floor of the coop yesterday and we she got up she was dragging one of her feet behind her. She is not putting any weight on it. Its being drug behind her and she is hopping on the one foot. The whole leg is kind of hanging there like a dead leg. I picked her up and run my hand down the leg and over the foot, it doesn't seem to hurt her- wouldn't she make some sort of noise if it did? The foot feels limp and she didn't move it at all when I ran my fingers over and under it. When I cupped it she did close it. When I ran my fingers back under it, it opened back up to that kind of dead foot look again. It just happened yesterday- no signs of illness or other injury that I can tell but I have no idea what I am looking for. What could be going on and what should I be looking for. I am wondering if the injury might be higher up an not in the actual leg or ?? What should I look for to figure this out?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    It sounds like the problem may be in the 'hip' joint. Run your hand up her leg to where it joins her body, it may be a dislocation. To know what right/wrong, feel the good leg first and compare. It's always hard to tell, chickens hide problems so well. She may have injured herself hopping from a perch, for now make sure she has a safe area and don't let her try to perch.
    Others more experienced will chip in here, good luck,[​IMG]

3. jbugw

jbugw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Michigan
    Seams slightly better today. I think. Her foot is still curled back but she is trying to use it to walk. Basically limping on her knuckles. She is limping around only when needed. its only 7 degrees outside today so I didn't even open the coop door. She is sitting in the brooder box which in on the floor and hasn't tried to go anywhere else. I'll feel her up again. I pulled her leg out some when I was messing with her yesterday and got no reaction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by