Hen dying chick won't leave

buddy18

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2016
It looks like my hen is dying and her chick, who is old enough to go with the rest of the flock, won't leave her.They have been together since she was born for months. They are very close. My hen looks sick and the baby is trying to get underneath her, even though she's as big as mom. At this time when I have a chicken at their end, I bring them inside and make them comfortable until the end. I know she is going to pass and the baby will be devasitated. Is my hen hanging on for the baby? I thought she was going to pass last night. I'm not sure what to do.

It looks like my hen is dying and her chick, who is old enough to go with the rest of the flock, won't leave her.They have been together since she was born for months. They are very close. My hen looks sick and the baby is trying to get underneath her, even though she's as big as mom. At this time when I have a chicken at their end, I bring them inside and make them comfortable until the end. I know she is going to pass and the baby will be devasitated. Is my hen hanging on for the baby? I thought she was going to pass last night. I'm not sure what to do.
It reads like you are convinced the mother is dying so it's a question of what will be easiest for all concerend in the mothers palliative care.
I let the sick die with their family/tribe. I have never felt at any time this was the wrong thing to do. It's a hard thing to do but sometimes, more often than not, there isn't anything we can except watch and cry.
Keep mother and her chick together. In the short term it won't matter where. If they are normally in a coop with others and the others are not bullying the chick or mum, I would leave them there.
There is no right answer but as I've written, I've never regretted doing this.:hugs

It reads like you are convinced the mother is dying so it's a question of what will be easiest for all concerend in the mothers palliative care.
I let the sick die with their family/tribe. I have never felt at any time this was the wrong thing to do. It's a hard thing to do but sometimes, more often than not, there isn't anything we can except watch and cry.
Keep mother and her chick together. In the short term it won't matter where. If they are normally in a coop with others and the others are not bullying the chick or mum, I would leave them there.
There is no right answer but as I've written, I've never regretted doing this.:hugs
Yes, I plan to. I hope I can get them in the barn tonight if she makes it through the day. Chicka (the baby) is laying next to her keeping her warm.

These two are still part of the flock. Chickens under any circumstances derive comfort and a sense of well being from being with their flock. It's the same as your extended family.

When the dying hen finally goes, the offspring will automatically rely on her flock for her continuing well being.

Don't worry. Your chickens have it covered.

These two are still part of the flock. Chickens under any circumstances derive comfort and a sense of well being from being with their flock. It's the same as your extended family.

When the dying hen finally goes, the offspring will automatically rely on her flock for her continuing well being.

Don't worry. Your chickens have it covered.

Back
Top Bottom