hen eating eggs

Hi, I tried the golf balls and they haven't worked. I haven't tried the hot sauce yet but I am going to next. My chickens have a outside run but with the weather and wind blowing so hard they want to stay inside.
Moni

Strange but i didn't hear the method i use to stop chickens from eating eggs !!! i have had the problem several times over the years and i have always cured it by feeding them grit. it has worked for me every time. if you have free range chickens you don't need it but if they are kept in a pen with out grit they will start eating there own eggs to get grit. try it and i believe the problem will go away.

As many know- chickens have different personalities- so different methods can work better than others. Also, lack of certain nutrients may be the cause, and fixing that can stop egg eating.

golf ball method has worked for several people---

hot sauce and mustard method---well I haven't heard of that one--although I suspect it's not the hot sauce that gets them to quit, but the not getting what they wanted! A little hot sauce mixed in with treats every once in a while is actually good for them!

Darkening the nest can also be beneficial method

Some folks build roll away nests, where the egg rolls into a "safe" area so the chickens can't get to it

Giving them grit could work if there is a lack of it (free rangers should be fine)....ALSO- if they have a calcium or protein deficiency- it may turn them into egg eaters. Making sure there is oystershell available free choice at all times (EVEN if you're feeding layer ration) and giving protein treats can also help alleviate the problem.

Some people have attributed egg eating to boredom--Hanging a head of lettuce or other greens, gives them something to do!

Figuring out WHO the culprit is can help "break the habit". Keeping them seperated from the others for a few days can break the cycle. Chickens can be creatures of habit, and sometimes you just have to "change their schedule" to get rid of the bad habit.

GOOD LUCK- Try different methods....The only 100% guarantee is culling the culprit, but that doesn't mean other methods aren't effective.

Sandra

Hey,I,ve got that problem too. What I,ve been doing recently is collecting the eggs several times a day so they don,t have as much opportunity to eat them. Free ranging would help too but foxes are trouble!

Back
Top Bottom