Hen eating soft-shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenriettaPlume, Apr 27, 2016.

1. HenriettaPlume

HenriettaPlume Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    [​IMG]
    The crazy egg she laid two months ago after taking a six-month break.
    [​IMG]

My Black French Copper Marans (2 years old) started laying soft shelled eggs about two months ago. To help her I started offering free-choice oyster shell, in addition to her feed (which also contains calcium). So far I have not seen an improvement in her egg shells. More troubling, is that I caught her in the act eating an egg. I had been finding wet spots, remainder of yolk and sometimes a piece of soft shell. But now I know she is eating them, as well.

BACKGROUND: About two years ago, Loretta was bullied for a year by another bird in the flock. Sadly, it took me a long time to figure this out. She lost most of her belly and butt feathers, and stopped laying in that time. Once I rehomed the aggressive bird, Loretta laid beautiful eggs for about a month and a half last summer, but then stopped when her belly feathers started growing back. She didn't lay again until about two months ago, and it was a crazy-looking soft shell egg.

Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated. I work during the day so it's hard to collect eggs right as they are laid. I was home today and checked her in the box for three hours, and still managed to miss her deflate and eat a soft shelled egg. I just put three golf balls in the nest hoping that may help.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hens will eat cracked or soft eggs, it's natural.

A few things can cause soft eggs; stress,a few different diseases like bronchitis, poor nutrition and a defective or improperly working shell gland.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by