Hen eating well still not laying eggs

Well, your chickens look fine so I don't think this is an emergency.
I would continue to feed the layer feed until you get a replacement.
In the meantime, if you want to boost the protein, if you have something like canned tuna or mackerel, that would be great.
Pumpkins seeds are OK but still, as a vegetative source of protein, it is still missing some of the amino acids they need to kickstart ovulation.

Did what I said in post #12 and #17 make sense to you or confuse you? Should I clarify anything?
Without getting into the weeds on other nutritional needs, wrapping your head around the differences in calcium needs and protein needs is important.
I'm not trying to complicate it more but just a high protein % won't necessarily help if they don't have the essential amino acids that chickens need.
Here is a short primer on protein. Crude protein is made up of all the amino acids.
Bodies, whether human, chickens or any other animal can make up all sorts of proteins from the 21 amino acids provided in food. However, there are essential, non-essential and conditionally essential amino acids, dependent on the species.
Essential are those that must be provided adequately in the diet for growth, immune system and life in general.
Non-essential are those that can be used by the body to make up the essentials.
Conditional amino acids are those that may be required in times of illness or stress.
A shortage of some essential amino acids can cause other amino acids to become essential because the building blocks aren't available in sufficient quantity to make the ones the body needs.
Humans have 9 essential amino acids, chickens have 13. And IMHO that makes animal protein even more important for poultry.

Last edited:
Well, your chickens look fine so I don't think this is an emergency.
I would continue to feed the layer feed until you get a replacement.
In the meantime, if you want to boost the protein, if you have something like canned tuna or mackerel, that would be great.
Pumpkins seeds are OK but still, as a vegetative source of protein, it is still missing some of the amino acids they need to kickstart ovulation.
Stopped buying the canned fish years ago, but have a cat that wouldn't eat because of a hurt gum, so luckily I bought some last week. They had tuna and pumkin seeds with a little of the fermented layers. That was my only options under these circumstances. Can't bring myself to feed them chicken, I feel that may incur problems in the future. Will have to think on the meat, that is one food I thought I would never need for chickens. What meats do your chickens eat?

Did what I said in post #12 and #17 make sense to you or confuse you? Should I clarify anything?
Without getting into the weeds on other nutritional needs, wrapping your head around the differences in calcium needs and protein needs is important.
I'm not trying to complicate it more but just a high protein % won't necessarily help if they don't have the essential amino acids that chickens need.
Here is a short primer on protein. Crude protein is made up of all the amino acids.
Bodies, whether human, chickens or any other animal can make up all sorts of proteins from the 21 amino acids provided in food. However, there are essential, non-essential and conditionally essential amino acids, dependent on the species.
Essential are those that must be provided adequately in the diet for growth, immune system and other health essentials.
Conditional amino acids are those that may be required in times of illness or stress.
A shortage of some essential amino acids can cause other amino acids to become essential because the building blocks aren't available in sufficient quantity to make the ones the body needs.
Humans have 9 essential amino acids, chickens have 13. And IMHO that makes animal protein even more important for poultry.
Wow. Now I am really going to have to absorb all this. It's not something I've have been educated in. Basically I've just felt my way with foods while hoping for getting the best results. Could do with a book. Please do not think I feel you are being complacent, far from it. Though as an adult I'm ashamed right now. These chickens could well be the saving of many lives, once my brain wakes up enough to take it all in. :)

What meats do your chickens eat?

Any kind of animal protein (meat, fish, egg, cheese), but especially the ones I do not want to eat:

Earthworms. Maggots. Grasshoppers. The bit remaining on the child's plate after dinner. Whatever is left on the bones after the people finish eating. The egg that slid off the spatula onto the floor. The cheese that grew a bit of mold (unappetizing mold, not dangerous mold.) The cheese that got dried out because someone forgot to close the package. The last devilled egg that no-one wants to put away. (etc.)

Any kind of animal protein (meat, fish, egg, cheese), but especially the ones I do not want to eat:

Earthworms. Maggots. Grasshoppers. The bit remaining on the child's plate after dinner. Whatever is left on the bones after the people finish eating. The egg that slid off the spatula onto the floor. The cheese that grew a bit of mold (unappetizing mold, not dangerous mold.) The cheese that got dried out because someone forgot to close the package. The last devilled egg that no-one wants to put away. (etc.)
🤣 you are ruthless to someone like me. I will certainly look at feeding in a different
way from now on. Have a good day or evening where ever you are. Will be studying what you gave me. Your time important advice is very much appreciated.

🤣 you are ruthless to someone like me. I will certainly look at feeding in a different
way from now on. Have a good day or evening where ever you are. Will be studying what you have given me too think about. Your time important & advice is very much appreciated. :)

Wow. Now I am really going to have to absorb all this. It's not something I've have been educated in. Basically I've just felt my way with foods while hoping for getting the best results. Could do with a book. Please do not think I feel you are being complacent, far from it. Though as an adult I'm ashamed right now. These chickens could well be the saving of many lives, once my brain wakes up enough to take it all in. :)
Essential are those that must be provided adequately in the diet for growth, immune system and life in general.

@ChickenCanoe I wish I could give you some kind of reward for the help you gave me. As I have already messaged you, you will already know she had laid a strange coloured egg this morning. Thanks for your guidance :)

Back
Top Bottom