Hen egg bound?

Sgzik993

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2015
Indiana, USA
Hello, my 2 year old barred rock seems to be egg bound. But the thing is sometimes she acts lethargic and at other times she will be walking around the yard with my other hen eating bugs and such. When I look at her backside it seems like she's trying to push something out. I've given her a bath with epsom salt and used my finger to feel up her vent about 2 inches but didn't feel any egg. This is very confusing to me because at times she acts as if she is egg bound and at other times she acts fine. I don't believe a lack of calcium to be the problem as their feed contains it already. I'm planning on bringing her to the vet hopefully Thursday. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear your hen might be egg bound.
Advising to place her in a bowl of warm water is my thought.

This idea should work. I tried it once but my hen didn't end up being egg bound.
Though... I hear that it often works.

And so far you are on the right page.
Continue what you think will work and don't give up yet.

Let me know if my suggestion helped!
And I wish you the best of luck finding a cure.

I hope my advice is helpful!
-The Angry Hen

Thank for your reply. My hen is still straining to push something out it seems. She's lethargic too at times. Her poo is liquidy and smelly. If she isn't egg bound what could possibly be the matter? She doesn't seem to be getting better (or any worse) I'm thinking maybe an infection but I don't want to start her on antibiotics unnecessarily. You said your hen wasn't egg bound, what signs was she showing that lead you to believe she was?

Well with the description I would say she has a E.Coli gut infection
smelly discharge and lethargic
Here is what I suggest:
HOW TO DOCTOR A LATHARGIC CHICKEN
Glenda Heywood answered
Lethargic chicken/two vit's/wet mash/E.coli
For this problem I recommend my wet mash probiotic with yoguart be given.
I prefer to use the wet mash probiotic that includes chicken feed, yoguart and milk with applesauce
because chickens will eat the yoguart completely in the wet mash where as some chickens will not just eat yoguart ans it gets on their beaks, of which then they throw it away when cleaning the beaks
as you will notice if staanding too close to them eating the yoguart

So read on down where I give the recipe
some advice for helping the chicken get over the lathargice

lathargic , I would suggest and advanced case of E.coli.

With all that is noted here is some good help that I have found to work for the health of the chicken

you mention sluggish behavior that denotes he has a gut problem

So here is what I would do at this time to help him get to feeling better

This is for single bird and I would isolate him so you know what he is eating
if you do not have a rabbit cage you can put her in the garage in a dog carrier till she is better
I would start with the Vit E and Vit B complex with wet mash

A)
chickens do get some upset in the gut with E.coli and then it goes to a nervous disorder
natural probiotic wet mash with Vit E and Vit B complex added immediately
basically the chicken has some nerve damage from the E.coli do this immediately
need neurolodigal vit E and Vit B complex for E.coli and the nervous disorder Also the apple cider vineager in water

(1) 2 tbsp acv per gallon of water till chickens are well and then 2 times a week for life
for one chicken use 1 tbsp of ACV
1 pint of water

(2 immediately give the chicken 1000 mg capsule of liquid Vit E by cutting the end of the capsule and taking the vit E liquid and mix in wet mash probiotic

(2-B) total amt of capsules equals the total amt of chickens fed vit's multiply amt of recipe times amt of chickens fed it and the amt of vit's times amt of chickens given them

(3 also need to crush a vit B complex pill in tabsp and add tsp of water to it
put it in the chickens wet mash after it is disolved

(3-C) then give this to the chicken twice a week for two weeks should see much improvement

after the chicken has eaten the wet mash probiotic clean wet feeder and restock dry crumble feed.

(4 Do both Vit's twice today then for 7 days till you see some improvement in the chicken

(5 today I would see if the chicken will eat a wet mash with the Vitamins E and B complex

(-B) THIS IS FOR ONE CHICKEN
natural probiotic wet mash
2 tbp of dry crumbles
1 tbsp flax seed meal (the kind people take)
3 tbp of milk sweet, sour or buttermilk
1 tbsp of non flavored yogurt
2 tbsp of apple sauce
put it on top so the chicken can smell and see it
mix good and put the
vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tabsp and add to the wet mash
**BESURE AND MIX VIT'S VERY GOOD IN WET MASH***

(6 Do this twice a day for 7 days to see if the chicken is better
then do this once a day for another week then once a week for a while
this should give the nervous system some stability and cure the bad E.coli in the gut
(6-A) they should clean it up in 20-30 minutes
this will help them get good gut flora
also put 2 tbsp of ACV in gallon of water and keep giving them this water for a week straight
then give it 3-5 times a week for life
PS:
(A) you make it from your own kitchen. It is made as I stated in te recipe and set over night and in morning if dryadd a little milk and stir t. Do Not make it soupy as chickens don't like it soupy and will stick to their beaks. After stiring ina little milk put the apple sauc on it for two times then they will be eager to get it. after the chickens get over their sickness you can not put the vitamins in it. or do so every other time.

(B) Yes it will be great I would use this recipe for her as you need to isolate her so you can control her eating. Feed this 2 times a day as the sole feed content with vitamins for a week and it should help her get the gut elicoli out. There is a recipe for one chicken, you need to add a extra tsp of dry feed, mash or pellets. and the rest of the recipe, 6 tbsp of milk. 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal, the two vitamins E and B Complex, 2 tbspoons plain yoguart, 1 tbsp Braggs or Heinz ACV mix good. and make one recipe at night and then feed it next morning, then in morning when she eats the wet mash bring the bowl in and clean it and make another recipe for later after noon feeding. have water for her in cage but only feed this recipe as only feed for a week and see if she is eating it faster she is getting better then feed every other day for another week. then she can be put back in hen hiouse and then feed the complete recipe to all the hens. I would start the whole flock on the wet mash recipe when you are taking care of the lone hen in cage. feed the whole flock 3 times a week what they eat in 30 minutes and then bring the flat large pie plate you feed it in to clean it up.

(C) You can buy a probiotic to put in the wet mash recipe, the probiotic is the vitamins added in my recipe, the wet mash mixture is very good for the chickens. I would use the vitamins every other time as you are feeding this 3 times a week after they get over the sickness. But their gut needs the vitamins every day for a week, then every other time you feed the wet mash recipe

Glenda Heywood Cassville Missouri

Thank for your reply. My hen is still straining to push something out it seems. She's lethargic too at times. Her poo is liquidy and smelly. If she isn't egg bound what could possibly be the matter? She doesn't seem to be getting better (or any worse) I'm thinking maybe an infection but I don't want to start her on antibiotics unnecessarily. You said your hen wasn't egg bound, what signs was she showing that lead you to believe she was?

Well, I had 1 hen that was egg bound, I was too late to help though.
The one hen had a bloody vent, I found nothing blocking her vent though.
She passed away two days later, she was healing but she went downhill after awhile.

She was quiet and her wings were laying on the ground,
it took place overnight, I bet she was egg bound but the others had bothered her a LOT.

-The Angry Hen

Here is what I suggest:
Glenda Heywood answered
I prefer to use the wet mash probiotic that includes chicken feed, yoguart and milk with applesauce
because chickens will eat the yoguart completely in the wet mash where as some chickens will not just eat yoguart ans it gets on their beaks, of which then they throw it away when cleaning the beaks

With all that is noted here is some good help that I have found to work for the health of the chicken

if you do not have a rabbit cage you can put her in the garage in a dog carrier till she is better

A)
chickens do get some upset in the gut with E.coli and then it goes to a nervous disorder
need neurolodigal vit E and Vit B complex for E.coli and the nervous disorder Also the apple cider vineager in water

(1) 2 tbsp acv per gallon of water till chickens are well and then 2 times a week for life
1 pint of water

(2 immediately give the chicken 1000 mg capsule of liquid Vit E by cutting the end of the capsule and taking the vit E liquid and mix in wet mash probiotic

(2-B) total amt of capsules equals the total amt of chickens fed vit's multiply amt of recipe times amt of chickens fed it and the amt of vit's times amt of chickens given them

(3-C) then give this to the chicken twice a week for two weeks should see much improvement

after the chicken has eaten the wet mash probiotic clean wet feeder and restock dry crumble feed.

(4 Do both Vit's twice today then for 7 days till you see some improvement in the chicken

(5 today I would see if the chicken will eat a wet mash with the Vitamins E and B complex

2 tbp of dry crumbles
2 tbsp of apple sauce
mix good and put the

this should give the nervous system some stability and cure the bad E.coli in the gut
also put 2 tbsp of ACV in gallon of water and keep giving them this water for a week straight
PS:
(A) you make it from your own kitchen. It is made as I stated in te recipe and set over night and in morning if dryadd a little milk and stir t. Do Not make it soupy as chickens don't like it soupy and will stick to their beaks. After stiring ina little milk put the apple sauc on it for two times then they will be eager to get it. after the chickens get over their sickness you can not put the vitamins in it. or do so every other time.

(B) Yes it will be great I would use this recipe for her as you need to isolate her so you can control her eating. Feed this 2 times a day as the sole feed content with vitamins for a week and it should help her get the gut elicoli out. There is a recipe for one chicken, you need to add a extra tsp of dry feed, mash or pellets. and the rest of the recipe, 6 tbsp of milk. 1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal, the two vitamins E and B Complex, 2 tbspoons plain yoguart, 1 tbsp Braggs or Heinz ACV mix good. and make one recipe at night and then feed it next morning, then in morning when she eats the wet mash bring the bowl in and clean it and make another recipe for later after noon feeding. have water for her in cage but only feed this recipe as only feed for a week and see if she is eating it faster she is getting better then feed every other day for another week. then she can be put back in hen hiouse and then feed the complete recipe to all the hens. I would start the whole flock on the wet mash recipe when you are taking care of the lone hen in cage. feed the whole flock 3 times a week what they eat in 30 minutes and then bring the flat large pie plate you feed it in to clean it up.

(C) You can buy a probiotic to put in the wet mash recipe, the probiotic is the vitamins added in my recipe, the wet mash mixture is very good for the chickens. I would use the vitamins every other time as you are feeding this 3 times a week after they get over the sickness. But their gut needs the vitamins every day for a week, then every other time you feed the wet mash recipe

W
Here is what I suggest:
Glenda Heywood answered

A)

1 pint of water

2 tbp of dry crumbles
2 tbsp of apple sauce
mix good and put the

PS:

Wow thats a lot of information. Ecoli. If that's the case that's something I need to work on right away, Thank you

UPDATE
I took her to the vet today. Xray shows swelling and inflammation around her organs. She suspected egg peritonitis but her abdomen is not filled with fluid, but rather inflammation. She gave me antibiotics to give her. I will see if that helps her

Back
Top Bottom