Hen expels roundworm blockage -- dangerous to deworm?

herrade

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 24, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
My 9 month-old hen expelled a big knot of roundworms this morning. She clearly had been suffering a blockage -- she was lethargic last night and this morning, walking very slowly and gingerly. Once she expelled the worms (and a big plug of poo before that) she was fine and perky. Clearly I have a worm problem, though I had seen no evidence in any of my four hens' poo before the massive dump this morning. They've appeared fine and healthy, and they've all been laying daily. I want to move quickly to deal with the infestation, as I figure it's only a matter of time before she suffers another blockage, but I'm worried about administering a dewormer like Wazine when she clearly has such a heavy load. Will this just lead to a massive die-off and an even worse blockage?

I am a long-time reader of these forums and can usually find answers to my questions in previous threads, but I'm having trouble with this. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Valbazen is supposed to be a good safe wormer that works over a couple of days, so that having a huge worm load should not kill her or be dangerous. It is the only one to get all of the chickens worms, unlike Wazine that only gets roundworm. That is what I use.

Thanks. I had read several threads -- likely outdated -- warning against using Valbazen or the like before using Wazine. I spoke to a vet this morning who gave me a bottle of Valbazen with instructions to administer 1/2 cc today and another dose in 10 days, with a 10-day withdrawal period after last dose (so 20 days altogether). I asked about the possibility of complications or blockages due to die-off, and he was not concerned.

I'm not positive, but I think I remember reading that piperazine (Wazine) was more likely to cause die off problems than Safeguard or Valbazen .. I think that was in Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

-Kathy

In some of the older posts here on BYC even Dawg53 used to advise to first treat with Wazine, then use Valbazen, but he has for a couple of years said that Valbazen should only be used since it works more gradually. Correct me if I'm wrong Dawg.

Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure if what I read was about piperazine or another wormer like Pyrantal Pamoate, but a side effect listed for a wormer was toxicity due to a massise die off, but no such side effects were listed for Safeguard or Valbazen. FWIW, In horses that might have a heavy load, Safeguard is recommended to avoid massise die offs that can occur with ivermectin.

I'll try to find the die off/toxicity warning and post a picture of it.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure if what I read was about piperazine or another wormer like Pyrantal Pamoate, but a side effect listed for a wormer was toxicity due to a massise die off, but no such side effects were listed for Safeguard or Valbazen. FWIW, In horses that might have a heavy load, Safeguard is recommended to avoid massise die offs that can occur with ivermectin.

I'll try to find the die off/toxicity warning and post a picture of it.

-Kathy

This can happen in humans in underdeveloped countries as well. Large worm load--fast kill with the wrong wormer--equals bowel obstruction.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom