Hen extending her neck and opening her mouth

WillisRanch

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
I have just noticed that my hen is extending her neck out and opening her mouth as if she is gasping for air. I also haven't heard her make much noise either. It started three days ago on the first day it was hot here. I thought maybe she was overheated bc she looked hot. I made sure they hens had plenty of fresh cold water and plenty of food too. The next day she seemed better and didn't extended her neck out as much. But today she is again. It is actually pretty windy and chilly today bc of the rain.

Any thoughts at what may be wrong?

I have read post that suggested respiratory illness, gaping worm to name a few. It would be helpful if you give more info.Have you given an exam to look for anything abnormal.More is better. In the meantime do a search typing key words like breathing..airway., while your are waiting for feedback.

They can look like that when they are hot and panting. Sometimes they can look like this when they adjust their crop. Gapeworm is not very common, but respiratory diseases will sometimes make them gape, extend the neck, and shake mucus plugs from inside. ILT is a respiratory disease that looks like gapeworm, and is a virus. Here is a list of common respiratory diseases with symptoms that you can look at: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom