Hen eye issue

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
AE560EAB-3E0E-455C-B396-D6201F5AE132.jpeg
I have a hen about one year old now. Found her like this today. Her eyelid is very inflamed. Other eye is totally normal. There is no bleeding to the eye or eyelid itself but it looks serious. Any cure tips? What should I disinfect with? Any tips on to nursing her?

It looks like it was very irritated or itchy at one time and possibly scratched herself injuring the eyelids. Can you see anything in the eye? I would begin flushing the eye with normal saline or eye wash, and apply a small dab of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day. The facial swelling could be a respiratory infection, but hard to know. Have you seen bubbles or foam in either eye, nasal drainage, sneezing, or congestion?

It looks like it was very irritated or itchy at one time and possibly scratched herself injuring the eyelids. Can you see anything in the eye? I would begin flushing the eye with normal saline or eye wash, and apply a small dab of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day. The facial swelling could be a respiratory infection, but hard to know. Have you seen bubbles or foam in either eye, nasal drainage, sneezing, or congestion?
No seen discharge or signs of respiratory illness. I’ll flush the eye with saline solution and I can begin to apply neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom