hen feathered cocks

Quote:
right now i have 2 unrelated henny oeg cocks and 1 silver sebright,, what hens should i breed them with?
are sebright hens a good choice? because it's hard to tell if the hen has henny gene...

tnx

Quote:
tnx for the info
smile.png

right now i have 2 henny feathered oeg cock and 1 silver sebright cock...
since it's hard to tell if the hen has a henny feather gene,,, would it be alright if i just breed my 3 henny cocks with sebrights?

then can i breed the 1st generation by "siblings to siblings" , "father to daughters" and "mother to son". what would be best?

any suggestions would be a great help....

goodday

What do you want to create exactly?

my goal is to breed a henny chicken that breeds true....like the sebrights!
im planning on using oeg( to have differrent colors) , and maybe using sebrights as well....
would this be possible? right now im trying to collect as many henny as possible,,,

what would you suggest ?

tnx

Blue, I`m not real scientific about this, but quite experienced at breeding for certain traits. If I were you, I would breed the 2 OEG`s and see what you get. If one mating produces all henny stags, mate the father to the daughters of that clutch. That should get you some stock to start with. Then the original cock to his grandaughters, etc. If both of the original matings throws all henny stags, you`re in good shape as you can mix the offspring together. Band all your birds and keep accurate records about who mated who and the results. The females in those clutches of all hennys is what you are after as they will give you the largest increases for your breeding program. Use only the best examples. Time will tell, but if you pay attention and keep the records, you can achieve whatever you are looking for..........Pop

Quote:
thank you very much for the info...
i will try what you said and see where i go from there!!!
just have one question though, what should i do if the breedings produce 50henny/50 non-henny?
is there a way on telling which pullet carries the henny gene?

Quote:
just have one question though, what should i do if the breedings produce 50henny/50 non-henny?

If you get a mixed batch like that, this project of yours is gonna require a lot of pens as the hens need to be in their own space, one in each pen. You can move the rooster around, giving him one day with each hen. Then, by the way the chicks turn out, you can isolate the hens with the henny gene. Hopefully you have OEG hens to start the process with........Pop

Quote:

If you get a mixed batch like that, this project of yours is gonna require a lot of pens as the hens need to be in their own space, one in each pen. You can move the rooster around, giving him one day with each hen. Then, by the way the chicks turn out, you can isolate the hens with the henny gene. Hopefully you have OEG hens to start the process with........Pop

ok, now i get it...ill try the method that you suggested, i think this would help me alot!

i have 4 oeg hens and 2 sebright hens right now,,, what do you suggest would be best, should i breed 1:2(trio) or should i just breed1:1(pair) first?

and do you think it's a good idea to cross with sebright hens?

thank you so much for the info
good day!!!

Back
Top Bottom