hen first clutch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theguy67, Apr 4, 2011.

1. theguy67

theguy67 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2010
    I posted a message about my only hen I was trying to get her to sit on the eggs. Finally she has done it! Shes always in the box. Unfortunately I only have 1 pair left. I know that ratio is horrible for breeding but it use to be much more hens before we had our skunk invasion.

I will be getting more hens this weekend hopefuly. Anyway I suspect we are atleast 1 week into incubation maybe even half way/ ( i am unsure when she started sitting.) Do I need to seperate the broody and her hatchlings once they've hatched? or can they just run around with the other chickens. Last time I had pullets the other hens bothered them a great deal until I realized the danger they were in and seperated them, but the hen should protect them?? I'd rather not take the chicks from the mom but I'm not positive of what should be done.

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Yes- Please seperate them once hatched. Seperate them AND the mom.

All chickens are different, but they can seriously injure the babies, or kill

them. The mom will try to protect them, but somtimes it doesn't

work. Plus, even if they're not actually being HURT, you don't want mom

and babies being bothered all the time. I learned the hard way. 2/3 of the

chicks died, and the one that lived had a severe break on the leg and an

injured wing.

ScissorChick

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I would just try to put the new chickens that you get into a different coop or area since mom and babies are where they are. This way you don't have to move mom and babies and the new girls will someplace where they will not bother them.

4. theguy67

theguy67 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2010
    ok great. Thats what I thought but I wanted to be sure. thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by