Hen/fluidy unswollen crop/no smell/wont thow up,eat,or drink!

I am still no expert, but I know that the crop has to be able to empty, so keep trying to get things up. Mine never would bring anything up as I think she had watery pooh to take some liquid out and she was not putting anything in. Even when I "forced" liquids I still could not get anything up. So it was obvious it was impacted and the only way, after trying the olive oil, yogurt, acv water, molasis, and trying to message it; was to get it out with surgery. It was a hard decision but it seems to be working out thus far. How is her pooh. What is her behavior? Is she losing weight? Is she penned up inside so you can observe her, what are you noticing? What went in...must come out...vometing, pooh, or surgery. And, then the trick is to figure out if it can be anything other than junk in the crop that is stuck. Maybe a tumor, maybe a mal-functioning digestive system, other illnesses, or just impaction. These little simple creatures are so complecated. Best to you and you hen. It is hard to know what to do.

Quote:
If she's not eating and you've made her throw up three or four times now and that's what's coming out it does sound like she's impacted and surgery may be necessary. I wouldn't keep making her throw up because there is a danger of asphixiation. In my opinion, it's better to operate. I only suggested the throw up because you said it felt like it was full of water. I have a crop surgery thread and Embrown also just operated on her chicken - easy to follow steps on her thread also.

Thanks alot everyone really I mean it...
Well the last 2 days she has been inside in a dog carrier. She has pooped 2 pretty normal poops. She still has some water mixed layer crumbles in her which havent been feed to her for at least 2 days. It does not seem to sour smelling a lil though. She is just kinda layin around. She tasted a lil oatmeal tonight first time shes eatn in to days but didnt eat more than a bite or 2. She has def. lost weight. Although I worm I am starting to think maybe a worm build up and only very little is passing and she has lost appitite? I dont know?? Urrrrg!! How is she pooping if she still has crumbles and water in her crop? She doesnt seem like shes going to pass away at this time but im soon she will have to be loosing energy soon.. I am still geting more out of her so I will keep trying although today less has been coming out but I still feel some? This sucks, Wisco

Do you have any way of weighing her, maybe a infant scale, fish scale, or a kitchen scale? That may give you a better idea of how she is progressing. When I brought in my chicken she weighed 4 lbs which was about 1.5 Lbs lighter than normal. I weighed her 4 days later and she had lost another 1/2 LB and then 2 days later she was down another 1/4 lb. it was obvious that she was not going to live at that rate. I just could not bare the thought of her starving to death, that is cruel. Also, two poohs in two days is not much for a chicken, generally they have droppings many times per hour. I have a board under my perches that I can just scrape off each morning...that saves the litter and makes it last longer, and it makes clean-up very fast each day. Anyway, there is a large amount under each chickens place every morning. Now, I know you said that she is not eating so that may account for the small amount of output, but, if she had food in her crop, and she is not processing it so that it is used for energy and to poop, then it sounds like a blockage may be occuring. I have never had a worm issue so I do not know how that is a factor, but I have read that worming during an illness is really tough on the bird, so hopefully someone will chime in with more info on that subject. Can you take a pooh sample to a vet to get it screened, no sense in worming a sick bird if it is not worms. They would also be able to tell you about parasites and maybe the sample will lend some information. This should be very low cost and would give "big" information. If no parasites/worms, then you may really need to consider surgery to remove that impaction. Keep us updated.

I am taking a poo sample to my local humane society today. If not worms I will give it one more day of thought and massage w/ making her throw up. If nothing seems to be working and no other thoughts by tomorrow evening I may have a buddy try the surgery, as I cant do it... Thanks alot and yes I will keep you updated.. Thanks, Wisco

I have had a bird with much the same symptoms, in the end after lots of attempts giving different feed and med, electrolights, vitamines, emptying the crop and such it was the wormer that fixed her up. From what I have seen the Wazine/piprazine does not seam to be that hard on them, up here the manufacture even reccomends fairly frequent worming even in layers(I know it is not the same everywhere though). For the wormer to work though at least some passage from the crop to the digestive system must be happining.

Well dropped off poo sample and will get a call back this aft. Buuuuut When I got home and checked on my girl she was up and pecking around on her blanket.... I looked in to find a big hay filled poo! I felt her crop and it seems to have gone all the way down. But I can still here some water squishing around? Do they keep the water they drink in there too? I tried feeding her some olive oil filled bread crumbles and yougurt and she ate them right away! Boy this is a good thing, But dont want to count my chickens b4 they hatch! Thanks alot fo the help my fellow chicken lovers! Will stay updated! Wisco
Yeah and can I just put shavings in their boxes? I have always used shavings for the floor and hay for the boxes... Thats gonna change!

She has still not pooped again, but she is up and milling about wisely. I fed her again another spoonful of yougurt and 1 fried egg yolk. She ate it up and is now sitting up on the small chunk of 4x4 I had in there, before she was sitting on the bottom. She is sure feeling better but dont want to get my hopes up to far. I wont feed her anymore this aft. or evening and will check her crop in the morning. I can feel that it is filled back up some after eating. Gosh I hope its down in the morning and I start getting more frequent droppings. Things are feelings better for both of us it seems, hopefully it will continue. Wisco
I took all the hay out of my boxes and put shavings in an hour later they had scratched them out?

65831_coop_pics_009.jpg

This is a pic of my coop when first built so you can see how my nesting boxes are built, I have 4 boxes on each side, what else can be used for nesting material besides hay and shavings? At this point my guess is she was eating the hay got compacted, backed up then with me making her throw up and the olive oil, it loosened up and passed. These are my hopes anyway. Be well!

Last edited:
crossing my fingers for you and her. Mine is sure liking the yogurt with a bit of shredded cheese in it, wet cat food, and scrambled egg. She is jumping up and down when she sees me coming with the bowl. Like you, I am just giving her tablespoonful at a time, I think she wants more, but I want to make sure her crop is working before letting her have free choice.

It is awesome that you got a straw pooh, that is encouraging. Any pooh results from the vet yet?

Staying tuned, and praying for the best for your girl.

That is good news - sounds like it passed through her. Hopefully she'll be o.k. now. And yes, food and water automatically go into the crop so you will feel it. The problem is when it does not go OUT of the crop because the passage is blocked and it can't get to the gizzard and be processed. The crop is just a big bag that will expand all day as they stuff it full. If they don't eat and drink all night the crop should feel flat in the mornings.

Back
Top Bottom