Hen foaming at the mouth. Upper respiratory?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
It all started this morning, when the flock was eating breakfast. I noticed my little Selah acting as though she had gorged a bit too fast (intense, constant swallowing....you know the drill). Upon scooping her up to take a look, it became evident that her airway was being obstructed by impacted, wet food. Seeing her struggle to breathe (skin turning purple and everything), I swiped out as much debris as possible, even pulling a chunk out of her throat. This seemed to help initially, but then, thick saliva took over. Checked back only to find this:
DSCN3680.JPG

DSCN3688.JPG

Pretty sure I heard a small cough during picture session. I put her back out in the coop just now, and it appears she's managed to get most of it down. Any idea what's going on? Selah is my pride and joy.....I'd hate to lose her.

~Alex

Can you feel of her crop to see if it is full and hard or puffy? Does she have any bubbles in her eyes or nasal drainage? If she has a food blockage in her throat she may need to drink water, but first, I would look into her throat for any white/yellow/grey tissue that might be blocking things. What has she been eating? Have any others seen mucus bubbles coming from inside the beak before? @casportpony @TwoCrows @dawg53 ?

Have you checked her breathing? Any raspy sounds? Is there any strange odor coming from it ?
Could be a respiratory infection or it could be something as simple as her banging her crop off of something whilst drinking and she regurgitated the water.

Do you have any vets that treat chickens in your area?
I'm thinking there may be one 30 minutes away. However, considering they run up a high bill, that's not really possible. :hmm Hoping against hope someone here can identify the problem, and it's treatable.
Can you feel of her crop to see if it is full and hard or puffy? Does she have any bubbles in her eyes or nasal drainage? If she has a food blockage in her throat she may need to drink water, but first, I would look into her throat for any white/yellow/grey tissue that might be blocking things. What has she been eating?
Whilst rubbing her crop earlier, it felt small, and firm.

As to eye bubbles/nasal drainage, neither.

I've been attempting to nudge Selah towards water, to no avail. :hmm Will go check inside her mouth now. She's been consuming her normal diet - 22% starter grower crumbles.
Have you checked her breathing? Any raspy sounds? Is there any strange odor coming from it ?
Could be a respiratory infection or it could be something as simple as her banging her crop off of something whilst drinking and she regurgitated the water.
Her breathing has been a little labored since this morning, due to both feed overdose, and excessive saliva. No unnatural noises. I'll check for odor.

~Alex

You may want to freeze a teaspoonful of coconut oil for a few minjtes to make it solid. Then cut into a few pieces and offer them to her to eat. I would massage her crop several times today, and keep trying to get her to drink. For now, I would not let her eat feed, unless it was liquid. Tomato juice might be something to tempt her with, and it is good for crop problems.

Just checked up on Selah, and she's acting completely normal. No exaggerated swallowing, gagging, labored breathing, foaming, or anything. Just foraging and chatting away like usual. Even taking multiple drinks. Is it possible the choking incident caused excessive saliva? :confused:

We have plenty of tomato juice and coconut oil lying around. :) I will certainly offer her some.

Thank you all for the invaluable help! :hugs So sorry if this turns out to be nothing, and your time was wasted. :oops: Couldn't help but be concerned, though, as I've never encountered such a situation.

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom