Hen found dead below roost bar (photo) šŸ˜¢

New2chickens2019

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2019
Can anyone see anything Iā€™m missing here? She was fine yesterday. I just opened the coop door this morning and rushed to work. Put everyone to bed tonight and found her in the coop floor. No weird poops, everyone seemed to be acting fine, they get oyster shell, grain, veggies, worms, and free range. I put acv in the water and will clean the coop and DE it in the morning and walnut shell the grain for a few days. Anything else I can do or am missing? We are so sad. She was just barely a year old. There was a soft shell egg about 6ā€ from her on the coop floor. Is the orange tone on her comb something to worry about? Our other grey ha the same tone at the base of her head currently.
D276F0D8-47D7-4119-9310-BB42B2732EC9.jpeg

No weird poops, everyone seemed to be acting fine, they get oyster shell, grain, veggies, worms, and free range. I put acv in the water and will clean the coop and DE it in the morning and walnut shell the grain for a few days.

walnut shell the grain for a few days
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your hen.
Unfortunately without a necropsy it would be hard to know why she died. Sending the body to your State Lab or doing an informal necropsy at home may give you some answers. If you wish to do your own, then post some photos, we may be able to help you with what you see.

Curious about what walnut shell in the grain means?

Back
Top Bottom