Hen gasping for air and gurgling noises

Larissa_xoxo3

In the Brooder
May 8, 2019
Canada
Hi all, i’m looking for some help. I’ve got a 5 month old easter egger pullet that is gasping for air, and making gurgling nosies, i’m assuming it’s a respiratory infection? My question is what can I do or give her to help? I have her inside and separated away from everyone else with electrolytes in her water and have been scrambling up eggs for her to eat however she has no appetite whats so ever, I don’t want to loose her and the nearest vet that sees chickens is 2 hours away :/ is there anything I can do or give her to help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have you added any birds to the flock recently who could have been a carrier of a respiratory disease? How is her comb color? Are you seeing any watery or bubbly eyes, nasal drainage, or mucus inside the beak? Antibiotics can help treat symptoms in bacterial or a mycoplasma infection, but some diseases are caused viruses, and one by a fungus. There is not a lot you can do other than try to keep the airway and nostrils clear of mucus. Antibiotics are not available in Canada without a vet prescription, as I understand it. You could bring her into a warm humid room where you could watch her more closely.

Can you examine her crop to make sure that he crop is not full and puffy? Sometimes they can food back up into the airway from an impacted or slow crop. Have you wormed your chickens recently? Worms can soemtimes cause respiratory problems. Panacur horse paste can be used 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 consecutive days is very good to treat most worms (except tapeworms) that chickens get.

No new birds have been added, and no bubbles in the eyes or nasal discharge. Her throat seems fine no blockages, and her crop is empty from not eating or drinking the past day or 2. I’m at a loss other then respiratory infection? I read somewhere about using the steaming method to try and help so I might give that a try seeing as I really don’t know what to do :(

If you think you have a respiratory disease in your flock, I’d suggest culling the sickest one and sending it off to get it tested. Most, if not all respiratory diseases in chickens is incurable and your birds will remain carriers of that disease for life.

20201027_182442.jpg
Here is a good link with many common diseases including infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum, ILT, infectious coryza, and aspergillosis, many of the more common respiratory diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
What does it mean if there is bubble in the eyes and what can i do my hen had that haven't seen it since it stoped getting cold here is a picture

Back
Top Bottom