Hen gasping for air is this respiratory or gape worm?

It is hard to know whether it is viral or bacterial, or even from mold fungus. Symptoms sometimes can make it more obvious to tell one from the other. Normally, I would not treat with an antibiotic for mild symptoms, but she seems to be in distress. Is there any way that you could take her to a vet? I hope that you see some improvement with the doxycycline. I would try to get her eating and drinking. It won’t hurt to worm her as well. While you are handling her, it might help to look into her beak and throat for any mucus or yellow/white material.

Hello i have a small little full grown Belgium, Millie who is having trouble breathing is this a respiratory or gape worm?

Need advice thanks i appreciate the help

Video of her breathing below
So if it’s cold where you live it’s probably a cold, also chickens can get sort of a flu during winter so that may be a cause. Another cause would be old age, dehydration or pain from something like worms.

It is hard to know whether it is viral or bacterial, or even from mold fungus. Symptoms sometimes can make it more obvious to tell one from the other. Normally, I would not treat with an antibiotic for mild symptoms, but she seems to be in distress. Is there any way that you could take her to a vet? I hope that you see some improvement with the doxycycline. I would try to get her eating and drinking. It won’t hurt to worm her as well. While you are handling her, it might help to look into her beak and throat for any mucus or yellow/white material.
Ok, I'll have to hopefully get a hold of the doxycyline if i can, no theres no form of really taking her to the vet at all.

I'll see if she has the yellow/white material is it canker if it is the yellow material?

I've wormed her already also 2 nights ago no new improvment she's still the same

So if it’s cold where you live it’s probably a cold, also chickens can get sort of a flu during winter so that may be a cause. Another cause would be old age, dehydration or pain from something like worms.
Yes its differently been cold here so it could be a cold, what are the signs of a flu for a chicken and how long will it take to recover if so?

I don't think its old age

Are you in Australia? Oxymav B is oxytetracycline, and it can be used to treat mycoplasma gallisepticum respiratory disease. Dosage is a little hard to follow since the label says to mix it for pigeons or parrots, so it is a small amount. But you could use that for 7 days to treat symptoms. Chickens don’t get flu or colds, but they get viruses or bacterial respiratory diseases.

Yes I'm in Australia, yes thought so was curious to know if people have had results with oxymav B?
Oh and i managed to get ahold of doxycyline 100mg. Im giving her quarter a tablet 25mg for her twice a day, does that sound about right?

She's just started on Doxycyline
And she's on day three on oxymav B should i give her both antibiotics or stop oxymab b and keep her on the doxy?
Are you in Australia? Oxymav B is oxytetracycline, and it can be used to treat mycoplasma gallisepticum respiratory disease. Dosage is a little hard to follow since the label says to mix it for pigeons or parrots, so it is a small amount. But you could use that for 7 days to treat symptoms. Chickens don’t get flu or colds, but they get viruses or bacterial respiratory diseases.

Update on my chicken Millie
Shes Improved loads and her breathing is no longer raspy/gasping shes on day 6 of her doxy and has made a full improvement and recovery

Back
Top Bottom