Hen Gasping for Air

mckaylaburgess

Chirping
Jul 7, 2020
Hello. I found one of my hens grasping for air this morning. I figured it was an emergency, so I took her to the vet. A few weeks ago, she had sneezed for 2 days, but had since stopped and I hadn’t heard her do it again. She was eating, trying to escape the run, acting like her normal self yesterday. Today she couldn’t stand, was huddled in the corner gasping. It was pretty hard to watch. By the time I got her to the vet, her comb was dark. The vet intubated her to see if she could find an obstruction, and there was nothing. She said that she could only hear air flow in one area of her lungs. Her crop was empty. The vet seemed to think her lungs had filled with some fluid, but couldn’t be sure unless she did some further testing. The vet said she was obviously suffering, and was unlikely to make it. I made the hard decision to put her down. The vet said I could send her off for a necropsy, but since my other hens were fine she didn’t see much of a point. I asked about gape worm because I’m worried about my other hens, do I need to do anything preemptively for my other birds? They’re fine but I’m afraid I’m going to find another gasping for breath in the morning.

Hello. I found one of my hens grasping for air this morning. I figured it was an emergency, so I took her to the vet. A few weeks ago, she had sneezed for 2 days, but had since stopped and I hadn’t heard her do it again. She was eating, trying to escape the run, acting like her normal self yesterday. Today she couldn’t stand, was huddled in the corner gasping. It was pretty hard to watch. By the time I got her to the vet, her comb was dark. The vet intubated her to see if she could find an obstruction, and there was nothing. She said that she could only hear air flow in one area of her lungs. Her crop was empty. The vet seemed to think her lungs had filled with some fluid, but couldn’t be sure unless she did some further testing. The vet said she was obviously suffering, and was unlikely to make it. I made the hard decision to put her down. The vet said I could send her off for a necropsy, but since my other hens were fine she didn’t see much of a point. I asked about gape worm because I’m worried about my other hens, do I need to do anything preemptively for my other birds? They’re fine but I’m afraid I’m going to find another gasping for breath in the morning.
I would send her for a necropsy 100% because respiratory diseases are serious and permanent. Disease that can cause gasping can be many things, but it also depends on which climate you’re in. If you’re in a warmer climate right now, then Gapeworm could be a concern. Other than that, Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT), Infectious Bronchitis (IB) and Aspergillosis (also known as pneumonia in poultry). If she has something contagious, then it’s best to get a necropsy done, just in case it’s a deadly disease.

I had a female chicken and her cone on top turned purple! she died after... in my arms... :(
purple cone means the loss of air! the bird is loosing air!!
white cone means the loss of blood! the bird has mites and mites suck there blood.
like a white skinny cone ( looks destroyed) means frost bight and needs treat meant

So sorry for your loss! At least a necropsy would give you a definitive diagnosis. I'd probably treat the rest if you suspect gapeworm, just to be on the safe side. But I'm new at owning chickens. Just look at things from a nurse's perspective.

Back
Top Bottom