hen getting pecked

all8up4jr

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 9, 2011
i came home yesterday to find one of my white rock hens had her tail feathers pecked out and was bleeding alot. i moved her to a seperate pen. i havent had chickens but for about a month and this is my first time raising them. hope this is what i was supposed to do. can anyone please help me out give me some pointers.

Hello! I'm wondering if your chickens have enough space......Sometimes they will become agressive with eachother if they are crowded....

I would get Blue Cote spray, and give her bald area a nice coating of it. It's bright blue, but it helps hide the wound and also heal it. And chickens aren't attracted to the bright blue color for some reason..

Also, if they get bored, they will sometimes start pecking eachother. They will also pull and eat feathers if there isn't enough protein in their diet.

A couple weeks ago my hens were pecking each other too, but not to where they were bleeding
sad.png
. I let them run around the backyard, gave them soggy cat food (for protein), spread some pine tar over their necks and tails and they've completely stopped! I have five large, heavy birds and even with just about a three foot fence they don't fly out.
big_smile.png

Do they have enough room? Each chicken needs AT LEAST 4 ft per chicken, if they can free range to their hearts content. If not, then about 10 ft per chicken.

or, she might be the bottom of the pecking order.....
D.gif

my coop is 6 x 4 and i have 11 birds in there. i have 2 black sex links, 6 plymouth rocks, 1 americauna, then a big black one that im not sure what she is, and my rooster

Back
Top Bottom