Hen goes broody now?

djbutler

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Eastern shore
It seams to late for her to be successful in hatching with the cold comming on but I dont want to disturb her instincts. I have a project flock of black brahmas. This spring I bought 6 chicks and a year old pair off a man that shows brahmas. I have them set up with dog houses in a sheltered area because though I own 15 agriculture acres it is deaded "no livestock". Untill I can get the restriction lifted "Peep world" construction is on hold. The man I bought them from said he finds his sleeping in the snow when I asked about housing them. I live on the Eastern Shore in Maryland and wanted to know if anyone has had success hatching out with limited shelter in this climate zone?

Well at least you have the right breed for your particular area. I can't see the feasibility in allowing her to complete her mission, but if she is well into it, you might allow her to finish. Who am I to deny the ole girl her instincts when I never stopped mine? I am just wondering if she will actually hatch them out and if she does, will you have to take them away to raise them inside.

I live up in Ontario, Canada. Last year I had a hen sit on eggs in the middle of the winter. I brought her in the house and hid her under my desk so my husband wouldn't see and throw a fit. I could not break her broodyness and I was sure the eggs were not viable, so I made sure I went to the barn every hour for eggs one morning to put under her, so they did not get chilled. It worked, only problem was I felt bad about putting her out after that into the cold so she ended up living with us till a bit warmer weather.

Please advise how long it took before your hubby found your hen stash?

lol.png

I had two hens that set non-stop last winter. One hatched in early December, she had 8 of 8 eggs hatch
big_smile.png
Later in the winter, the hatch rate drops, but it still is possible for them to do it. Just be sure the nest has plenty of warm bedding (straw, hay, shavings, I prefer straw), so it can help her keep them warm. I've got a silkie that just 2 days ago started brooding, we had an ice film over waters this morning
hide.gif

I have a Jersey Giant that is less than a year old and to my surprise has decided to go broody. Though its late in the year, I decided that I would not intervene in her natural instincts.

I believe that we as humans tend to step in at times where we are not needed and should allow nature to takes its course. I have left mother-to-be in the coop with all the other chickens. She has selected her nest and they do not bother her and the others have not laid any other eggs in her nest.

I will post pictures on Sunday of the for all to see.

I do understand that we tend to over react sometimes when we are not needed. My older hen went broody on July 4th and after a snake got all but 1 egg we had to restle the unfertal egg away from her 2 weeks after the hatch date just to build her up again. I am delivering breakfast in bed to my ? mother to be to make shure she keeps her weight up and hydrated. I don't plan on raising many chickens but would like to leave the option open to possibly get into showing one day and improving the flock. I think it would be easier to let the hens hatch out thier own then try to introduce the chicks back into the flock. I will do what ever I need to improve the sucess rate but I want to give mom a chance first.

Back
Top Bottom