Hen got its leg stuck!!

Berlynnn

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
One of my hens got her leg stuck sometime over night and we found her this morning flailing around. We were able to get her but she was not walking on that leg at all. It does not seem to be broken, but was very discolored. I separated her and she is eating and drinking and is now limping around on that leg but mostly just laying down. The color is also coming back. Do you think she will recover fully or is there anything else I can do to help her recover?? This is the first time one of our chickens has gotten injured. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20230722_071432.jpg
    20230722_071432.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 40
One of my hens got her leg stuck sometime over night and we found her this morning flailing around. We were able to get her but she was not walking on that leg at all. It does not seem to be broken, but was very discolored. I separated her and she is eating and drinking and is now limping around on that leg but mostly just laying down. The color is also coming back. Do you think she will recover fully or is there anything else I can do to help her recover?? This is the first time one of our chickens has gotten injured. Thank you in advance!
I think she can make a full recovery. Make sure she's still eating and drinking. If it is fractured you might want to put a splint on it. If you know of any places that she could've gotten her foot stuck in I would patch them up so this doesn't happen again.

You can do daily soaks in warm epsom salts, that will help with pain and swelling. If she's really having trouble then crating her in the run with the others will let her rest it safely, and reduce her stress, and allow her to eat and drink without pressure from others. It may show bruising, which will often look greenish. Just watch for any swelling to show up, sometimes fractures will swell after the fact. It will probably just take time and rest.

Back
Top Bottom